Problems when sending email to some users. email marked as spam and IP blacklisted.

3 0 1

Hi there,

I'm having a few problems in with emails, some email providers here in Italy can't receive my order confirmation mails.

I get messages like:

This is the mail system at host smtp.shopify.com. I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below. For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster. If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message. The mail system

host smtp.aliceposta.it[82.57.200.133] said:
    550 mail not accepted from blacklisted IP address [35.184.254.92] (in reply
    to MAIL FROM command)

i've looked up that IP and is a GOOGLE-CLOUD IP being blacklisted from a service called spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net..
Is anyone having similar problems? Any ideas on how to solve it?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
279 5 30

Hi, @francesco4 

Elle here from Shopify. 

This error is typically related to the SPF record missing from the primary custom domain name set up in your shop. The SPF record allows email hosts to see that we have the authorization to send email on your behalf and if it's missing the email will bounce with the error mentioned above.

Your SPF record should look like the following as per our documentation here

v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com include:shops.shopify.com ~all

You domain provider should be able to assist you with the setup SPF record and the emails should then be accepted by the email host providers.

If after you have set up the SPF record for your domain name you are still experiencing issues with customers receiving their notification emails, please let me know and I will reach out to you directly to continue to help troubleshooting.

Cheers, 
Elle

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
3 0 1

Hi Elle, thanks for your answer, my spf record lacked the "include:shops.shopify.com" part.

I'll keep you updated here about that fix.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
279 5 30

Hey, @francesco4 

Thanks for the update!

Hopefully this resolves the issue moving forward but please do keep me updated. 

Hope you have a great week!

Cheers,
Elle

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes