Processing Exchanges Online

Tourist
4 0 3

Please would you explain how I am supposed to process an online exchange via my admin account. I have Shopify POS Lite so don't appear to be able to process exchanges through that.  I have a customer who has paid £29.95 for some fairy lights online.  I don't have them in stock but I have a cheaper smaller set of lights for £19.95 available which she would like to take instead. She would like me to refund the difference. I have not yet fulfilled the order.  I need to process a refund for the difference and alter the product and amount listed on the invoice so that the inventory is updated accordingly.  I need to provide her with a new updated invoice but don't want to cancel the order and put her through the hassle of having to pay again.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
291 26 74

Hi, @Indigo_Blue_Tra.

Welcome to Shopify Community. My name is Olivia and I work here.

I'd be glad to lend you a hand with this today. Since you have the order as unfulfilled in your Admin, you can follow the steps below to edit it to exchange the items. 

Steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Orders.

2. Click the order that you want to edit.

3. Click Edit.

4. In the Add product section, enter the name of the product that you want to add to the order, or click Browse to view a list of your store's products and collections. You can also create a custom item for the order by clicking Add custom item.

5. Select the individual products or variants that you want to add to the order.

6. Click Add.

7. Optional: Add a note about the edit under Reason for edit. This note isn’t seen by your customer.

+

To remove the original item, in the same edit section:

1. Under the item that you want to remove, click Remove item.
    Optional: If you don’t want to return the item to inventory, then uncheck Restock item. Items that you remove are automatically restocked to their original location.

Here's an example of an order where an exchange is made, and a refund is owing to the customer:

05-58-2mphb-i0orv

As you can see in the screenshot above, the amount to refund will automatically be calculated and 'updating the order' will notify your customer and provide them with a new confirmation email.

That will do the trick, but let me know if other questions come up.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Excursionist
38 0 23

Exchanges is a VERY BASIC function that any POS system should be able to perform.  Absolutely ridiculous that you are forcing customer to shell out and extra $1080 a year to add exchanges.  Seriously, stop pretending like you care for small businesses while treating them like crap. Shopify sucks, switching to square.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
291 26 74

Thank you for your feedback, @Rivertowninkery.

We understand this has been a difficult change for many business owners, and we greatly appreciate the impact you described on our merchants. 

To learn more about the POS changes and why they were implemented, please refer to my response on this POS feedback post. If you have anything further to share regarding these changes, make sure to do so in that post. This helps us streamline all feedback to be documented and logged internally, as well as provide a better user experience for our merchants.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes