Product Tags Create URLS with Underscores

JoeToolLocker
Tourist
4 0 1

I recently have been auditing my website (TheToolLocker.com) to improve our SEO ranks with Screaming Frog SEO Spider. A glaring error in my URLs was the use of underscores (as well as uppercase) for many of my collection pages. Since I am creating tags in Shopify as "Category_Tile Saws" it creates that in the URL when that category is selected. In my limited research, the best practices for URLS are hyphens to separate words, not underscores. This has created over 150 links on my web page non-indexable, according to Screaming Frog. Is there any way to remedy this?

Thanks,

Joe

Replies 3 (3)

pioneer100
Shopify Partner
1119 145 481

@JoeToolLocker 

it can be changed to hyphen instead of underscore if you just let me login your store and i will change the code so that underscores are automatically converted to hyphens.

If helpful, Please Like and accept The Solution.
JoeToolLocker
Tourist
4 0 1

You can understand my hesitancy to allow someone into my account. I'd be happy to chat outside of the forum to fix this issue.

KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 115

Interested. Can you elaborate in public on what code change this is. Is it just changing the themes to adjust internal links pointed at the tag pages? 

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.