Product pages or Collections?

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question but I am a complete noob when it comes to Shopify and I think I have set my store up incorrectly. I have previously built websites using Joomla and Wordpress but this is my first venture into ecommerce.

Initially i set up my website and created pages for each of the product types we sell. However I have now discovered collections and found that i can set the menu to navigate to the separate collections. I wondered if there was a "best practice" for doing this? i.e. should i create product pages for each product category or just set up collections?

Also am i able to create sub-collections? For example we produce ratchet straps but they are available in 25mm, 35mm or 50mm widths and I wondered if I could have one landing page for Ratchet Straps which would then have links to 25mm, 35mm and 50mm straps.

Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
73 7 13

Hey, @WRP-Steve

First of all, congratulations on getting started on Shopify. I'd be happy to shed some clarity in regards to product pages, pages, collections, and your navigation.

Just to start, whenever you create a product it will be given its own unique product page (URL). From there, you can add these products to collections. Think of these like categories or folders that you use to organize your products. You can create as many of these collections as you like to effectively organize them in such a way that they appear as "sub-collections". For example, you can create a collection called Ratchet Straps and also create a second collection called 50mm Ratchet Straps. We have an entire help document on collections that you can find here.

It's important to note that Collections are different from creating Pages. As collections will display products and Pages are typically used to display text/media. For example, if you are creating a Shipping Policy, FAQ, Contact, About Us, etc. pages you will use Pages for that.

Once you have created your collections you will want to add them to your navigation menu (that shows at the top of your page) so your customers can easily find what they are looking for. You can organize your menu's into what's called drop-down menus/nested menus. This allows you to organize your collections in a way to appear as "Sub collections". We have a guide on Adding, removing, and editing menus as well as one for creating drop-down/nested menus

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes