Purolator tracking number defaults to FedEx

Alyssa_Spaxman
5 0 0

For some reason when I enter Purolator tracking numbers on an order Shopify defaults to FedEx. This is annoying, but previously I would manually change the carrier by typing "pu" then selecting Purolator. Suddenly today there is an update to the tracking section of orders, and now we have to scroll all the way down to find Purolator. This is suuuuper annoying and needlessly time consuming. Anyone have any ideas to help? Thanks!

Replies 7 (7)

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @Alyssa_Spaxman

Thank you for your feedback. I understand how that would be frustrating to re-select and scroll through different carriers to find the carrier you want to use and that you want to type letters to change the carrier. 

I just wanted to shed some light on why this happens. When a tracking number is added to the fulfillment page, without a tracking URL, Shopify will automatically guess which carrier the tracking belongs to - in this case it guessed FedEx. Have you tried adding in a tracking URL with the tracking number? You can check out our help doc for the steps to do that here: Add tracking numbers to order feedback.

I’m happy to pass along your feedback to our developers so that they are aware of how you’re feeling about this change. 

Do you have a preference of where you want to type these letters? Is it in the dropdown menu (pictured here) or somewhere else?

21-02-1zk7q-nnj9m

Can I get your myshopify.com URL to share with our team? This will also help us notify you if we move forward with this change.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Alyssa_Spaxman
5 0 0

Hey Tira, thanks for the response! I typed the letters using my keyboard, there isn't a specific area I'd want to type them. The dropdown used to behave like any drop down menu in that you could force your selection using your keyboard (imagine a dropdown where you have to select your country and type 'C' using your keyboard to bring you to the countries starting with the letter 'C'). Now the dropdown no longer acts like that, you are forced to scroll only. 

In terms of the tracking number: I have tried copy/pasting the URL and it just makes everything messy on the customer end, as they get a string of content. 

Every other carrier tracking number I copy/paste gets recognized instantly (UPS, FedEX, Canpar, Canada Post, etc), it's just Purolator. So I'm wondering if there's something on Shopify end that could be adjusted. OR at least allow keyboard access in that dropdown menu again to save scrolling time. 

Hope that makes sense!

Alyssa_Spaxman
5 0 0

and @Tira my url is strutjewelry.com

Thanks!

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Thanks for getting back to me, @Alyssa_Spaxman. I appreciate your analogy, feedback and store URL. I’ve also used drop-down menus like you've described and it was convenient to type letters to bring up what I was looking for, your explanation makes sense. 

I dug into this for more insight with our product team, and the update was created to improve the accuracy of connecting the correct carrier when a tracking number is added. If for some reason you need to select a carrier before you’ve entered a number, the new field will remember the carrier that you've used before, and will automatically bring it to the top of the list, under “Frequently Used” so that you can select the carrier without scrolling the next time you fulfill an order, as pictured here:

21-02-jmyer-ifi9s

For your specific scenario, I believe you should see Purolator listed at the top when you take a look at the list. Can you please confirm this? If this is showing differently, that would be good feedback for me to share with our developers.

I have sent a note to our product team that you’re seeing Purolator tracking numbers default to FedEx. I think this could be happening if the tracking number format of FedEx is similar to Purolator. Would you be open to sharing the tracking number or format here so that I can try it on my test store? I'm also curious, have you had a chance to enter a FedEx tracking number? If so, does that automatically detect FedEx for you, or does it detect a different carrier?

Please let me know and I can send your feedback up to our developers so that they are aware. 

Alyssa_Spaxman
5 0 0

Hi @Tira , thanks for your response.

I don't have a 'frequently used' section, all I have are the 'matching carriers' and then 'other carriers'. Maybe it's because the logic hasn't been able to learn what I'm actually using all the time since bc of this bug with Purolator numbers Purolator never actually gets selected automatically?

So what happens is I copy/paste the Purolator tracking number, it automatically defaults to FedEx, then I see 'matching carriers' and scroll down through to 'other carriers' to find Purolator.

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 4.11.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-10 at 4.27.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-10 at 4.27.34 PM.png

This only happens with Purolator tracking numbers, as I mentioned. I also use FedEx, Canpar, UPS and Canada Post and they all select correctly when I input the tracking number in the way I've outlined previously. In general the Purolator numbers all start with 3 and the FedEx ones all start with 7, so they are different. If they weren't then the same issue would occur whether users were entering a FedEx number or a Purolator number, I think?

Thanks for your help, would love to get this issue fixed. It's really time consuming, and since so much of our business is online now any area where we are spending extra time unnecessarily is tough. 

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Thanks for your reply and for your screenshots @Alyssa_Spaxman, they are helpful! 

That is odd that you’re not seeing the Frequently Used list. As I mentioned earlier, it will appear if no tracking number is entered, and only the tracking carrier list is clicked on. 

Could you please give this another try and reply back here to let me know how this works for you? If it's not working the way it's set-up to be, I'll let our developers know about this. 

I wanted to let you know that I have sent your feedback about mis-matched carriers with Purolator and Fedex to our developers. If we do move forward with an update, we’ll list it in our changelog or announcements page to inform you and all of our merchants. 

I know this has had an impact on your business. Something I’d like to suggest to help is to use an app to import your tracking numbers for your orders in bulk, as it sounds like you’re currently doing this manually. I think this would help save you some time. You can use an app like Excelify which helps you add tracking numbers in bulk.

Here’s the page for the app from our App Store: Excelify by Excelify.io and here is their guide on exporting and updating tracking numbers for existing orders in bulk. This app is made by a third-party developer and would be within their scope of support. For any questions or comments, please reach out to them directly by using the information listed under the “Support” section of the app’s page.

I would love to know if this helps!

Renars
Shopify Partner
284 31 332

Hello @Alyssa_Spaxman and @Tira 

Renars here from Excelify.
Thank you for suggesting Excelify for this task.

You sure can bulk update tracking numbers for your Order Fulfillments with Excelify by using the previously menti....

The process is quite straightforward, but if you do have any questions or issues, please reach out to us directly. 🙂

Matrixify | Bulk Import Export Update | https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import | https://matrixify.app