Can you remove an extra Facebook pixel from a Shopify venture theme?

MirceaDanBiz
Tourist
7 0 1

I have accidentally added 2 facebook pixels to my website and wanted to remove one of them. I looked up the information for deleting the facebook pixel, but the documentation says to go into theme.liquid and search the code in the <head></head> tag, but there is no facebook pixel code there. I have added the code through Facebook, not manually and I am using the venture theme.

Replies 33 (33)

Asgeir
Visitor
2 0 0

I have the same problem. I changed pixel under preferences and thought that would be it. However, when I use the Facebook Pixel Helper extension to Chrome, I can see that both the new and the old pixel are firing. I've read tons of community posts here and they all say what you're explaining; that it's between the <head> </head> tags, but I cannot find anything there. 

Obviously many have the same problem, and there's got to be a solution to this ... 

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hi, @MirceaDanBiz and @Asgeir!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Typically, merchants will only add one Facebook pixel to their store. To make this easier, Shopify allows you to enter your pixel ID in Online store > Preferences, rather than your theme's code. Once the pixel is added to your online store preferences, it will automatically track Facebook pixel standard events. You can view a breakdown of these tracked events here

Are you using the Facebook Pixel Helper? This is a useful tool that will show you how many Facebook pixels are firing on your website. Is this how you're seeing multiple pixels? If so, are you using the Pixel Helper when viewing the frontend of your website, or are you using it while in the Theme Editor? For the most accurate results, it's always recommended that you use this tool while visiting your website outside of the Theme Editor.

If you're seeing an extra Facebook pixel you don't recognize, and it is not in your theme's code, the pixel was likely added through an app on your shop. For example, the Kit and Facebook Marketing apps will inject a pixel associated with your Ad Account; this pixel is only removed once the app is deleted from your store. In fact, it's quite common for apps to add pixels and I can definitely see how this could cause some confusion. Do you have either of these apps installed? 

If you're still not able to determine where the pixel is coming from, feel free to share your store URL here; I'd be happy to use the Pixel Helper here on my end to see if we can determine where that extra pixel is coming from.

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Asgeir
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Julie, 

Thank you for your reply and explanation. Yes, I'm using the Facebook Pixel Helper and using it when viewing the frontend of my website. I can see two pixels firing, i.e. the new one as well as the old one. Pls note, I replaced the pixel ID in Online store > Preferences, but not my theme's code. I have not used any apps that install pixels such as Kit or Facebook Marketing ... and I do recognise my old pixel number there in the Facebook Pixel Helper. 

The problem is then, that I replaced the pixel ID and now both are firing according to the Facebook Pixel Helper. As far as I know, having two pixels firing could cause some inaccurate analytics... or so I've been told. I wonder then, how can my old pixel still be firing when I have replaced it by a new pixel ID in Online store > Preferences? It must be somewhere in the code then.

In another post here on the forum I saw that it should be in theme.liquid between <head> </head> tags, but I cannot find anything related to Facebook and the pixels between the head tags. 

Do you have any idea how this could be solved?

Thanks again Julie for taking the time 🙂

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @Asgeir.

Thanks for confirming that you're using the Pixel Helper. 

If the pixel is not in your theme's code, then it really sounds like it's related to one of these apps; this situation is quite common and oftentimes, merchants will still have these apps installed, even though they aren't actively using them. Although you have not used Kit or Facebook Marketing, do you have either of these apps installed? You can confirm by heading into Apps in your Admin. Merely having the Facebook Marketing app installed, for example, will automatically add another pixel to your store. This can only be removed by completely uninstalling the app. You can learn more about how Facebook pixels are added through the Facebook Marketing app here

Please let me know if either app is installed in your store!

Mego
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi Julie, I have the same problem but I deleted the apps and the unwanted FB pixel is still there. Any suggestions?

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hi, @Mego!

Which apps did you delete and where are you seeing the extra Facebook pixel? Are you using the Pixel Helper? If you can pass along the link to your store, I'd be happy to use the Pixel Helper here on my end and take a look! 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Mego
Visitor
2 0 1
Hi Julie,

Just solved it, so no problem! It was google tag manager that was causing
the issue. All solved now thanks!

catanomaly
Tourist
16 0 1

How did you solve this my man? I'm facing the same issue you had

aboden
Visitor
1 0 0

Mego, how did you manage to fix it with Google Tag manager? I've just deleted the Facebook Messenger from the 'tags' section yet messenger is still appearing on the home page? It's driving me nuts!!

anna-s
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Julie!

We are having a similar problem with our store (www.joandjax.com). We were having a lot of problems with our pixel firing twice at checkout, and I could not resolve the problem so I removed the pixel entirely to see if I could isolate where the problem was coming from. We have no pixel in our preferences, theme.liquid, checkout.liquid, etc. yet we STILL have our pixel firing on our website. I have checked every possible app and integration I can think of and I still cannot find it. We do not have any of the apps you listed installed. Would love if you could take a look, as this has been a huge headache. 

Thank you so much!

- Anna 

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hi, Anna!

Thanks for outlining the troubleshooting steps that you've already taken. Taking a look at your website, I'm also seeing that there is one pixel currently firing. Out of curiosity, is this the same pixel associated with your Facebook Ads account, or is it a different one? 

While I'm unable to access your theme's code here on my end, another troubleshooting step I recommend trying is to preview a fresh, unedited version of your current theme; this would help us confirm that the pixel isn't hidden elsewhere in your code.

If you're still seeing the pixel, then this may be due to other third-party app scripts. In this case, I'd be happy to follow up with you via email to continue troubleshooting. Alternatively, our live support team can work with you to rule out each individual app you have installed using our internal tooling systems. 

Let me know how that goes!

anna-s
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Julie!

This was really helpful, thanks so much for getting back to me. The pixel that is firing is the pixel that is currently associated with our ads account. I previewed the original version of our theme and the pixel did not fire, however in the very first customized version we have it did. I'm not sure if this means when our customization was done it was added somewhere, or if this was around the same time that we added an app that uses our pixel. I will reach out to the live support team and see if we can rule out the apps!

Thanks again for your help!

- Anna 

eduard04
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Julie, I'm having the same issue. I saw 2 active pixel on my store and i don't know what is the effect of it when I run Ads. Please check my store ebarleymona.com

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @eduard04!

Thanks for sharing the link to your store. I'm also seeing two pixels firing on your website. To confirm, have you added your Facebook Pixel in Online store > Preferences, following these instructions?  Also, have you added a pixel in your theme's code?

As mentioned above, if you're seeing an extra Facebook pixel you don't recognize, and it is not in your theme's code, the pixel was likely added through an app on your shop. Do you have either the Kit and Facebook Marketing apps installed? Both of these apps will inject a pixel associated with your Ad Account and this pixel is only removed once the app is deleted from your store.

Have you tried previewing an unedited theme to see if the extra pixel still fires there? You can do this in Online store > Themes and scrolling down to your Theme Library, where you'll see your unpublished theme. Next to any theme there, please select Actions > Preview. When previewing your theme, you'll be able to use your Pixel Helper to see if there are any duplicate pixels there. 

If you do see the extra pixel still there, then this is likely related to an app. Let me know what you see in an unedited theme! It would also be helpful if you can let me know which apps you currently have installed so we can rule out any apps being the potential cause. 

Looking forward to your update!

eduard04
Visitor
2 0 0
Thank you for your reply Julie, I cant remember that I added facebook
pixel, I might done it before but I couldn't remember?

I already remove Kit and check the unpublished theme Preview. I still saw
two Pixel.
Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Thanks for confirming, @eduard04.

I'd like to take a deeper look into this on my end and dig into some of the apps you have installed. I've just gone ahead and sent an email to the email address associated with your Community Forums account. Let's connect there so we can run through some further troubleshooting steps.

Chat soon!

Jimi1032
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, thanks for the info on this thread.

If the code below sits in the "Additional Scripts" would this also mean that website purchases are double counted?

I'm seeing one unique purchase for every 2 website purchases in my reporting with the amounts initiated in checkout being accurate for the 2 sales.

<script>

fbq('track', 'Purchase');

</script>

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 4.20.27 pm.png

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @Jimi1032.

The only place your pixel ID should be is in the Facebook Pixel account section in Online store > Preferences. The Additional Scripts field in Settings > Checkout is intended to be used for any customizations that you'd like to have appear on the order status page of the checkout. 

Adding your pixel ID in the intended field will automatically track the 6 standard events, including the Purchase event, which occurs when a customer completes a purchase and views the order status page in the checkout. Because the Additional Analytics field is meant for the order status page, this is very likely why you are seeing inaccurate data and why purchases are being counted twice. 

Is there a reason why you added the pixel ID in the Additional Scripts field as well?

aludream
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi, Julie,

I'm having the same issue. I saw 2 active pixel on my store.

I spend half hour to read all your conversation with those shopify friends about this issue

but I did not find solution

I do not mind if the pixel is from a app or not, whatever the second pixel is from, it does not matter 

I only need to delete the second pixel

can you simple tell me how to delete the second pixel from shopify.

I ready shopify help document in this link https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/promoting-marketing/analyze-marketing/facebook-pixel#remove-faceb...

but there is no Facebook pixel code between the <head> and </head> tags  

this is the problem that the first person who asked at beginning, 

but no solution so far

aludream
Tourist
7 0 1

by the way, my shop is a new shop, I did not install any app related to facebook, so I think my pixel is not from any app

aludream
Tourist
7 0 1

and the second pixel is manually added by myself at preferences

, definitely the pixel is not added by a app, so I no need to uninstall any app

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @aludream!

Whether you can remove the second pixel really depends on how it was added. Are you able to share your store link with me? I can use the Pixel Helper here on my end to see if I'm able to find the culprit.

It would also be helpful if you can share a list of the apps you currently have installed; while some apps may not be directly related to Facebook, they may still inject a pixel into your store. Finally, which theme are you using? 

All of this information will really help! Looking forward to hearing from you. 

brynncapella
Visitor
3 0 0

Hey Julie -

I don't think you answered my question or issue regarding the FB pixel yet, but I think it's similar to aludream. I basically have several different fb pixels, but I only have one showing on the pixel helper and on my Shopify preferences. So I am hoping it's as simple as updating the pixel ID in the fb ads, but not sure how to do that.

I set up my FB pixel several years ago and it seemed to be doing fine. Again it's actually the only one I see live via Pixel Helper. But I was in my FB ad account recently and I just noticed another FB pixel associated with sub-accounts (for lack of better terminology). But it won't let me change the new pixel to the original one with all the information related to it in the fb ads account. So I am not sure if it's more of a facebook issue vs a shopify issue?

Basically I recently followed some prompts that said those accounts weren't connected to my site, but when I followed them that's when I noticed the new pixels to the account? It didn't change my original one which was still showing data and I could see that pixel on my Shopify preferences but when I looked at my backend website coding on the theme.liquid page, I didn't see it there. I thought connecting them would automatically use my original fb pixel not create a new one? Can I just delete those and start over? I just want to keep using my original pixel from years ago because it seems like it has all the lookalike info vs the new ones.

So I am mostly confused in my FB ads manager area. My actual business name is just my name plus Inc. So there are two accounts showing, a Business Manager account and my personal ad account. My business account has 6 business assets listed; Brynn Capella Handbags, Brynn Capella Handbags (so twice), Brynn Capella Inc., KIT, Products for brynncapella.myshopify.com, Shopify Product Catalog. The ones with different FB pixels are the products for and Products catalog. And in my personal under a new one that the prompts created.

Am I making any sense? Could I delete those new accounts, but would that affect my FB shop connection?

Thanks.

Brynn Capella

www.brynncapella.myshopify.com

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hi, Brynn! 

Thanks for joining in on the conversation. 

It does sound like everything is set up correctly on Shopify's end, considering you're only seeing one pixel in the Pixel Helper, and you've only added the pixel in Preferences, rather than in your theme's code.

I did notice that you mentioned KIT, however, and this could have something to do with seeing multiple pixels on Facebook's end. Our Support team will be able to verify if the extra pixel is coming from KIT, so feel free to contact us and we can investigate. Our Support team will also be able to determine if any of those extra pixels are associated with Shopify. 

As for your catalogs, the Shopify Product Catalog would be the one that was created if you had migrated over to the new Facebook channel from the old Facebook Shop channel (which has since been delisted). This product catalog should not be deleted, otherwise you will lose the sync between Shopify and Facebook. 

I hope this helps clear things up but feel free to reach out should you like us to take a deeper look! 

ericcoh
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey Julie,

I'm having the exact issue! I've deleted facebook marketing to try to see if the pixel would be removed from my website, but it's not.

My website is sublimesolution.myshopify.com. I've even tried to look for the code within the theme, but it's not there. Please help me out. I've been looking everywhere for answers.

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @ericcoh!

Thanks for sharing your store link. Taking a look at your homepage here on my end, I'm only seeing one Facebook Pixel. Are you seeing the extra pixel on a particular page? If so, which page are you seeing it on? 

ericcoh
Visitor
2 0 0
I ended up fixing it; however, my Facebook pixel won’t record any add to cart, view content or initiate checkout. It’s weird because on Facebook pixel helper, it shows that it works, BUT on events manager, it doesn’t record any of thay
Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Thanks for the update, @ericcoh.

Is the pixel in the Preferences section of your admin, or is it in your theme's code? Also, which theme are you using? It looks like you are using a third-party theme and this could very well be a theme-related issue. 

Lastly, have you made sure that the pixel ID in your events manager matches the pixel ID that you've added in Shopify? 

isaldivia
Tourist
4 0 1

Hola Julie!

Same problem here, site: https://verynooty.com/

We have two pixels (we installed Facebook Pixel Helper already), one is the actual Pixel that we use to run our FB Campaigns, the second one is associate with other FB Ad Account (from the same person who create the Nooty one) that I don't have access. Is there a way to remove it directly from Shopify (code)? Is a simple task or you recommend me to hire an expert?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Saludos

IG

Tanner22
Visitor
1 0 0

I am having trouble removing a pixel from my website. I've tried everything, may I send you my URL to take a look? Thanks in advance

tevotechnics
Visitor
2 0 0

I’ve already deleted Kit but the other pixel has not yet been removed. Please help. Thanks

Taniya1
Tourist
12 0 2

hi julie, we are having a same problem ( https://shop.gytree.com/ ) this is our store link, meta pixel helper shows us 3 different pixels firing but i can only able to see one pixel id at my store backend i also check my theme.liquid file i couldn't find any code there .My only concern is to remove the other 2 pixels.

Here is the 3 pixels that meta pixel helper showing us  

Taniya1
Tourist
12 0 2

Screenshot (115).pngScreenshot (116).png