Removing 'Shopify Legacy App' data source from my Facebook Catalog

Solved
honeybug
2 0 1

Hi there!

Thanks for the reply. We have over 5K SKUS... do we really have to go manually through each and every one to delete this app? Is there any other work around? Thanks!

Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1001 61 164

Hey, @honeybug.

Tira here, again. Thanks for your reply.

I searched for a way to perform a bulk delete of all items in a data source. I was unable to find more information and this would be outside our scope of support. I recommend connecting with Facebook’s help centre for assistance here

I’m also curious to see what the community has to suggest!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Lost_Arrows
Tourist
7 0 14

Tira thanks for looking into this. I've tried following the steps in the article you posted, and the items repopulate shortly after being deleted. It's like a never ending zombie horde of out of stock products. Most of the products aren't even in our Shopify inventory anymore, so who knows where it's pulling from. Unfortunately, my experience with this issue is customer-facing too. The attached photo is from our Instagram shop from my personal account. I've tried reaching out to Facebook directly. They don't make it easy to talk to a support agent... So I often run out of steam sifting through their help site just finding how to talk to a human.

IMG_8496.PNG

EHS_Design
Tourist
5 0 7

I'm another person stuck in the same boat. 

We have the "Shopify Legacy" app in our Facebook Commerce Manager and cannot remove it. We have 1,100 Variants, so manually deleting them all simply isn't an option - especially with some reports here that the products repopulate after they are deleted.

The old sales channel is removed from Shopify and the old Shopify Facebook app has been removed from the Facebook account, but the data feed persists.
Facebook tell me that the app cannot be removed by me as it is owned by another Facebook Business account (I assume that Shopify owns this account), and that only the other business account can remove the app from the data feed.

Contrary to what Shopify staff have stated in this thread, the old products ARE visible to our consumers. Being unable to purge these products from our catalogue is preventing us from running catalogue-based ads on Facebook.

I have opened a ticket with Shopify and was read back the answer already posted earlier in this thread, which doesn't work due to the fact the products ARE customer-facing, it's impractical to manually delete 1100 product variants, and there's a chance the deleted products may repopulate after deletion as other users have reported. The issue is being investigated further but as of yet is not resolved.

Simply deleting the entire Facebook product catalogue isn't a great option either, as our Instagram posts use this to tag any products we have posted, and re-tagging years worth of instagram posts is, again, impractical.

What needs to happen (at least, according to Facebook) is that whoever is in charge of the Facebook business account linked to the Shopify integrations, needs to access the account with control over the app, and remove the app from that end.

I'll keep everyone updated if and/or when a resolution is found. 

Richard_James
Tourist
9 1 13

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Everyone,

I've managed to remove the Legacy Data Feed by deleting my FB commerce account and creating a new commerce account. The outdated products have now gone. There are some risks associated with this so check before you do this. However, the situation is fixed for me now and the new commerce account was approved almost instantly so I had no down time for my ads or FB store. So I'm pretty happy with the result!

Risks:

•  All your ads associated with the catalog will stop and you will need to duplicate and add the new catalog as you can't change a catalog once an ad is live
  • All your product tagged IG posts with products from your catalog will need to be retagged as tags will be deleted.
  • You will need to recreate any product sets you use for ads 

How I did this:

• Go to : https://business.facebook.com/commerce_manager/
  • Click manage list in the screenshot below and delete the catalog associated with your commerce account. When deleted it should remove the commerce account too.
  • Go over to Shopify and run through the steps on the Facebook sales channel to set up a new commerce store. 

Richard_James_2-1618331518760.png

Let me know how you get on.

Lost_Arrows
Tourist
7 0 14

The nuclear option. Thanks Richard!

It sucks to lose all those IG tags, but better than ghost inventory with no solution on the horizon. Can confirm that it's a painless process following his steps. Easy to get resynced too.

Kayla_Davis
Tourist
3 0 3

Just did this as well and it worked out okay! Kind of a pain for this to be the only way around it, but its a solution.

Thanks Richard, and good luck everyone!

Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1001 61 164

Hey, @Richard_James.

Tira here.

Thank you so much for sharing your findings and your solution with the community, this is awesome to see! I am also happy to see that your post was marked as a solution. 

Cheers,

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
EHS_Design
Tourist
5 0 7

Deleting the entire Commerce account is a very, very heavy handed approach. It works, but I would be reluctant to call it a "solution", especially given the collateral damage (Losing all product tags on all past Instagram posts, suspending all ads that use the product catalog, etc).

I got the same response from my support ticket that was posted on page 1 as a "solution", which was to manually delete every single product variant in the data feed. The solution recommends using check boxes which no longer exist, to bulk remove products. (Why Facebook removed those check boxes, I do not know.)

I have replied querying why the app cannot simply be unlinked from Shopify's end as per Facebook's advice, and am awaiting another response. 

Riley-Carlson
Tourist
3 0 2

Agreed, deleting the whole commerce account and setting it up again is an extreme "solution" there is absolutely no reason as having full access to the catalog you wouldn't be allowed to break the connection between the app and the catalog. I have tried going back through and deleting products from the source that it is able to do so (some accounts only have 18 product in it so its not bad. However, accounts with 3k+ it is not feasible to go through every product 1 by 1 to delete) and the product still repopulate. 

The app integration is under a different business manager (i assume the shopify business manager) and supposedly going through there is the only way to remove the app integration. Definitely don't want to risk deleting the commerce account to set it back up when there are many issues that may arise (commerce account falsely getting disapproved, losing out on spending, loss of data, etc.).