Removing the third party domain still redirects back to Shopify store

bhagya19
Tourist
11 0 8

Hi,

We recently have a new store setup using Shopify which has the primary domain - www.corona.co.nz - mapped to it. We want to retire the older store, which had the primary domain shop.corona.co.nz. So we removed the primary domain mapping on the old store and we would like the traffic coming to shop.corona.co.nz to be redirected to www.corona.co.nz. With the help of domain provider, we have tried changing the CNAME of shop.corona.co.nz to corona.co.nz and the new store shopify URL. However, shop.corona.co.nz still points to the older shopify store. Please help us understand if we are missing anything and the fix.

Replies 3 (3)

Finley
Shopify Staff (Retired)
201 26 45

Hey @bhagya19!

This is Finley from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thank you for reaching out!

There are a few steps you'll need to take to ensure a third-party domain points to a specific Shopify store. I'll run through those steps, as well as how you can redirect this traffic to your primary domain.

1. Please check that you've removed the domain you wish to use from the original Shopify store. You can follow these steps, as only editing the DNS records won't suffice.

2. For the domain's DNS records, the CNAME record should be shops.myshopify.com, instead of your current "shop.corona.co.nz". The A record should point to 23.227.38.65. You can see our guide on what to tell your third-party provider for reference.

3. Next, you'll need to connect the third-party domain to your new Shopify account from your Shopify admin > Online Store > Domains > Connect existing domain.

4. Once you've connected the domain to your Shopify account, you can redirect the traffic from this domain to your primary domain by following these steps.

Let me know if this helped! If you need any further clarification on a specific step, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Alongside your domains, are there any other steps you're currently working on at the moment? You may find the Shopify Store Checklist handy to ensure you've covered all the bases for this new store.

I hope you're having a wonderful day!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

bhagya19
Tourist
11 0 8

@Finley Thank you for the reply.

The question is more on removing the third party domain from the store and redirect the third party domain to a primary domain of another Shopify store. 

www.corona.co.nz  is a primary domain of store X.

Earlier, shop.corona.co.nz was a primary domain of the store Y. We have removed this domain mapping in the Shopify store. We are trying to redirect shop.corona.co.nz to www.corona.co.nz and the CNAME for shop.corona.co.nz has been mapped to www.corona.co.nz. However, shop.corona.co.nz redirects to a random Shopify page.

bhagya19_0-1614742436168.png

DNS settings - 

bhagya19_0-1614742591165.png

Am I missing anything?

Finley
Shopify Staff (Retired)
201 26 45

Hello again @bhagya19!

I recommend that you follow step #2 that I shared above to update the CNAME record to shops.myshopify.com. The screenshot you shared is the page customers are redirected to if the domain entered is not connected to a specific Shopify store.

The DNS records for any domain used with a Shopify store should be:

• CNAME record: shops.myshopify.com

• A Record: 23.227.38.65

Next, you can proceed with what I shared in step #3. From the Domains section of your Shopify admin and click Connect existing domain. Follow the prompts to connect and verify your shop.corona.co.nz domain:

21-03-szhas-p5zu1.

Once the domain is successfully connected, all traffic from shop.corona.co.nz will send your customers to your current Shopify store, instead of that other page you were seeing.

Now that you have two domains connected to your Shopify store, you can choose to set www.corona.co.nz as your primary domain. Then follow step #4 to enable redirections which means your customers will see www.corona.co.nz whenever they land on your Shopify store, no matter what domain they enter.

I do hope this clarifies things! Please feel free to ask me any further questions here. Alternatively, if you'd like us to look at your account, we can get you authenticated. To do so, you can visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

Thank you!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.