Removing unused/old product tags from my dropdown menu?

Solved
Lydz
3 0 0

I've recently deleted a whole heap of old product tags from my shop.

Yet they still appear in my drop down menu and when it's clicked on it leads to an empty page.

How can I remove them from this menu to stream line my drop-down menu and keep it less cluttered for my customer?

0 Likes
RahulSharma
Tourist
5 1 0

Could you please share the store URL?
And what theme are you using?

0 Likes

Hello 

Want to modify or incorporate custom changes on store, Hire us
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution .
Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com
Whats app
Free Website Review and advice for sale from Shopify Conversion Experts | Shopify Private App | Custom Theme Development | Custom Modifications In To Shopify Theme | Shopify SEO ; Digital Marketing & amp | Site Speed Optimization | Performance Site Audit
0 Likes
Lydz
3 0 0

And how do I do that?

It's a "tag filter" drop down menu that I can only "enable"  from settings on my collection page.

0 Likes
Ava
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
809 42 130

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Lydz!

Ava here from Shopify :)

Just so I'm sure, you are referring to the 'sort by' dropdown of tags here?

30-39-rvc9u-smh5w

Usually, tags are only deleted from this dropdown once every instance of that tag has been deleted from every product in the admin section. If you go to the admin and select products, you can filter by the tag you would like to delete. For example, the screenshot above is from my test store. If I wanted to get rid of the 'custom cake' tag here, I would go to Product then filter like this:

30-43-sh7f8-xian6

Here, I can click the 'add filter' button to see all the product with this tag. I can then select all products and click 'edit products'

30-45-hzca8-kpopa

After that, I can click to bulk delete the tag on each product! Once I save my changes, I can see the tag has been removed from the tags dropdown on the collections/all page of the store

31-27-uhdp5-94fl9

In this instance, I also had to delete a product Type I had created called 'custom', as it had the 'custom' in 'custom cake included. If the tag you are trying to delete has two or three words, I would recommend filter searching each word to be sure they are all deleted.

Do let me know if you try this and you are still seeing the tag appear in the dropdown. If you are, I can manually push through an internal resync of your search documents, just to make sure all of the new changes (deleted tags) are reflected on your storefront.

Chat soon!

Ava

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Lydz
3 0 0

Thank you Ava. That's exactly what I was after.

I've done that and it looks like it worked but it took a day for the changes to appear in the drop down filter menu.

Thank you for such a thorough reply! 

0 Likes
Ava
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
809 42 130

Perfect, glad it is sorted for you now! It is strange that it took a full day for the changes to appear, they usually should update straight away. If you have an issue like this again in the future, don't hesitate to reach out so we can see why the site doesn't update immediately. It may be due to a large product inventory, but I'd need to troubleshoot at the time to investigate properly

Thanks again!

Ava

0 Likes
jwatson355
1 0 0

My shopify help had me add tags to all products. I do not recommend this because now I have tags on products that have zero to do with that product. I have selected all products and removed several times but they will not seem to disappear. frustrating. What else can be done without going product by product???

0 Likes
Ava
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
809 42 130

Hi, @jwatson355!

I'm sorry to hear that. Were you able to follow the sets I outlined above to search for the product tags? If your tags have more than one word in them (for example "living room accessories"), I'd recommend searching by just one word (in this example, search by "living").

Could you give that a go and let me know how you get on? Thanks!

Ava

Social Care

0 Likes
curiousclothing
1 0 0

Hi there,

I have this same problem with my site. I have followed all the steps here and still have an option in the dropdown for a deleted tag.

0 Likes