Repost - shopify discount codes and fees

elliotdiving
2 0 0

I run a shopify store which is sells scuba diving equipment, amongst other items. 

We have created some limited edition t shirts to sell in our online store to try and raise funds due to lack of business from Covid. We ran a go fund me campaign to help support staff and their families which was a success. Alongside selling these t shirts, we would like to offer one for free to each person that already donated to our campaign. I will plan to issue them with a discount code for 100% off so they can redeem their free shirt. 

My question is:

Does paypal/shopify take a cut from the retail price, or from the actual funds that get transferred?  I don't to have to pay to give away free shirts!

Thanks in advanced, massive newbie here. 

0 Likes
Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1787 193 540

Hey there, @elliotdiving 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

Thank you so much for reaching out regarding this. I am so glad to hear your GoFundMe went so well and it so nice to hear that you are doing so much to support people. Transaction fees are only applied to the amount that is actually processed by the gateway itself - you will not be charged a transaction fee on items which you have applied a 100% discount to. 

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Retired Staff Member

0 Likes