Returns: The Holy Grail / Chasing Your Tail?

Shopify Expert
685 0 68

Sooo... I get asked this one (or variations on) reasonably frequently: "How does Shopify handle returns?" I guess I'm not really sure. Although I have one or two clients I don't do a great deal of "shop-keeping" so I'm not entirely sure what people do. I made something with Campaign Monitor and some GMail rules for one client and another was all jazzed a couple of weeks ago, telling me about a company that will "take care of everything". I wonder what other people do? Is there anything that Shopify even needs to handle?

I'm a million different people
0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
960 1 51

Hey Ricky,

Our admin team is actually developing an elegant return system that will make returns easy to do on Shopify, but currently the only way to do this would be to unarchive the order, issue a partial refund for the value of the returned item, and adjust the stock accordingly.

Again, we're working on a better system for this, but for the time being, this is the only workaround you can really use for returns.

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
685 0 68

This is the returns form I put together for Seven Boot Lane, they include a return label with the packing slip. Now that I have enabled GMail Labs for them, created a Canned Response and then applied that in a Filter, they don't have to worry about anything until the return shows up in the mail... Maybe that will help someone.

The other client I was talking about uses Newgistics, who provide "End-to-End Omni-Channel E-Commerce, Parcel Delivery and Returns Management" (sounds like a right laugh).

This came to my attention because BOLD Apps just sent out an email about their "Returns Manager" app.

I'm really interested in what other stores do. Are their other 3rd-party providers, solutions? Other hack-arounds?

I'm a million different people
0 Likes