SEO meta title not linking to page leads to a 404 page

NineAmulets
Excursionist
35 0 7

I find this very disturbing that such a gross error could be happening. I have recently made changes to my SEO and carefully entered special hand picked keywords and entered them on my SEO editing at the bottom of the product page. After I've done that I noticed a sharp drop in visits, and this could be my own error. However when I search for the indexing of my meta titles I found them indexed by Google with no problems but when I clicked in several of them they lead to a 404 not found page! I can't believe this. 

Please can someone help me?

0 Likes
KieranR
Shopify Partner
296 24 88

I would guess some page handles have been updated in making those changes, with no redirects in place, while Google still has the old URLs indexed. Resulting in 404. 

If that's the case, then fix is likely to be either:

1. revert to the old URLs by updating the handles (preferrable)
  2. setup redirects (fallback option)

You should be able to see what URLs are getting clicks in GSC or 404 sessions in GA if you've lost track of what the old URLs were.

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
0 Likes
NineAmulets
Excursionist
35 0 7

Thank you for your support. I think there is some other issue behind this. I copy  and paste my meta title into Google search. I get two indexed results. The first one leads to 404, the other opens the page. The 404 result URL shows a country code after it, like  fr, de and I think this is an issue  caused by a translating app.

0 Likes