SSL expiring on third-party hosted subdomain

klooney
Tourist
4 0 0

I have a client who has their main site hosted at InMotion Hosting, and a subdomain from that account is being used to host their Shopify store. So, it's like the main site is www.mainsite.com and the site that shows up when you're on the shopify store is shop.mainsite.com. InMotion Hosting is emailing and saying that the SSL for the subdomain will expire in a few days. But, since the subdomain points to Shopify, which already has SSL included and active, do I need to also purchase another SSL for the original subdomain? 

When I go into the 'Domains' section of the store in Shopify is says that it's connected to the subdomain site and the lock shows up on the address bar of the browser when I'm on the site. My concern is that if the SSL expired on the subdomain from the site provider (InMotion Hosting) that the lock will either go away or customers will get some type of warning message. Anyone know an answer on this?

Replies 3 (3)

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi @klooney

June here from Shopify.

This is a super valid concern and I'm glad you reached out for clarification. You're exactly right. When you connect any custom domain to your Shopify store, we'll automatically generate an SSL certificate, so you will not need to purchase a new one. 

Without knowing too much about InMotion Hosting's SSL policy, I just want to confirm that your client's domain itself is not due to expire this week? It may be worth confirming that the domain is set to auto-renew to avoid any interruptions in their connection.

If at any point your client has any concerns about the status of their SSL certificate, they are more than welcome to connect with our support team via our Help Center, where we'll be happy to take a closer look and, if necessary, re-provision that certificate. As well, please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions about anything I've shared here.

Have a wonderful day!

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

klooney
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi June,

The main site SSL is good for a while. Just the subdomain site is set to expire this week. If for some reason the Shopify site says that it's no longer secure after the InMotion SSL expires this week, is there any information that Shopify can provide to me that I can relay to InMotion Hosting to secure things? Or is there really nothing to do but purchase a new SSL through InMotion at that point?

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi @klooney

Thanks for those details. 

You've mentioned that the subdomain is connected in your client's Shopify admin under Online store > Domains > Manage, is that correct? As long as this is the case, we will issue the SSL certificate ourselves at no extra cost, so you should not need to purchase one elsewhere. If you notice that the certificate has temporarily disappeared due to any changes on the domain provider's end, please connect with us via our Help Center so that we can reset it on ours. 

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog