Select a translated language as first language displayed when visiting my website.

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi.

I designed a Shopify website using English as default language and adding Chinese as translated language.

When visiting the website, the main language displayed is English and there is a language selector in the footer to switch to Chinese.

Is there a way to configure the website to automatically select Chinese language, when first visiting the website?

If I select Chinese as default language in Shopify settings, I'll have to rewrite all the website in Chinese and add English as translated language.

Also, I don't speak Chinese, so it's good for me to have the default website in English, so I can work on new content in English and add a Chinese translation when my staff translated it for me.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi SnowCoconut,

This should be achievable with a little bit of javascript trickery. I do have a couple of questions first tho.

1. Whats your web address so we can take a look at the code.
  2. Should the language be in Chinese on first load for all users in the world or based on their GEO location? For example, someone from UK would be in English, someone from China would see Chinese.

Thanks

In need of a Shopify developer for a bespoke app or theme, or maybe just someone that can help you out. Give us a shout, we are always happy to help. Wehateonions
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi, thanks for your reply.

My website is not live yet as I'm still working on it. I'm using debut theme.

It's ok for the website to always load in Chinese, with the customers then having the option to switch to English.

I'm trying redirecting my domain name from mysite.com to mysite.com/zh-TW, that would load the Chinese version.

However I'm wondering what will happen when customers switch to English version and click on the logo that leads to the homepage: will that load the Chinese version?

I couldn't test it yet cause the redirect didn't go into effect yet.

Looking at the code of header.liquid I can see that the logo points to {{ routes.root_url }}, not sure what the outcome will be

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 0

It seems like it's not possible to redirect my site to mysite/zh-tw

Any advice on another way to load the Chinese language first?

Thanks! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

If you preview your current theme, in the bottom admin bar sits a button called 'Share Preview'. Click this to retrieve the link and post here. That way I can take a look at your site.

Thanks

In need of a Shopify developer for a bespoke app or theme, or maybe just someone that can help you out. Give us a shout, we are always happy to help. Wehateonions
0 Likes