I am looking to create effective and simple "sets" for my products. All the apps I have tried really don't look good and / or don't have the functionality that I specifically want. Customers often buy items in pairs (2 briefs) or as a set (a brief and a tank) and I'd like to offer small discounts for buying in a set or a 2 packs.
Inventory tracking is of high importance and I don't have enough inventory to create a seperate sku for a product pack or set, AND customers MUST be able to choose size and color option for each item in a set or pack.
I have attached an image of a site which I found does it well.
Any suggestions? Help and comments are very appreciated!!
Hi Cassandra, I see a few potential problems that you may be trying to solve. So that someone can better help you, could you please clarify which part you need help with?
1) DISCOUNTS: Do you need a way to provide a discount when two of the same items are in the cart together?
2) LAYOUT/LIQUID CODE: Are you wondering how to show multiple products together on a single page?
3) PRODUCT MANAGEMENT: Are you wondering how to link products in your admin so they can be available as a group?
Could you please clarify which part you need help with? I am trying to explain this as clearly as possible, but it's not easy!
I sell PJ's and loungewear. People often MIX/MATCH my items. To increase AOV I want to sell sets and packs (without creating separate inventory for them), and I want customers to be able to choose size and colors for each item in a set or pack.
1) DISCOUNTS: Do you need a way to provide a discount when two of the same items are in the cart together? Yes, there needs to be a discount or a fixed price for the set/pack. I can make either work. I'd like the savings to be visible to the customer.
2) LAYOUT/LIQUID CODE: Are you wondering how to show multiple products together on a single page? Not really. I want to give the customer the option to chose the variants on a product set. For example, if they choose to purchase a brief 2pck. I want them to be able to choose 2 different colors (or sizes if they want). Or if they want a brief and Cami set, I want them to be able chose size/color for each item in the set.
3) PRODUCT MANAGEMENT: Are you wondering how to link products in your admin so they can be available as a group? No, I understand how to group products in collections.
Thanks for your answers Cassandra, I totally understand what it's like trying to explain a problem when you're not totally sure what you should be asking!
I kind of hate when this is the answer, but I think you're going to need an app to accomplish this. The main reason is the discounts—Shopify's built-in discount functionality only supports the simplest scenarios, and you can only use one discount code at a time. The closest thing to your requirements that Shopify's discount system supports is offering a discount off one item if the customer purchases a second item. However, you can only have one discount in the cart at a time, so if you wanted to discount two separate bundles of products, you wouldn't be able to.
Enter custom discount apps—Bold Product Bundles is one app I'm aware of (but have not tested) which could provide the discounts you're looking for. Automatic Discount by Tabarnapp is another app that I believe would support the discounts you're looking for, but would require additional customization to display the products correctly.
Since Shopify on its own can't do complex discounts, apps like these work by looking at the customer's cart, calculating any relevant discounts based on your rules, and then creating a custom cart with individual line-item discounts applied on the backend. The app actually bypasses the normal checkout process and creates a copy of the original cart, but customized with the correct pricing. This is invisible to the user aside from a momentary redirect to a custom app url befor redirecting to the checkout.
If you look at this demo page for the Bold app, it appears to demonstrate the exact sort of product bundling that you're describing. If you browse around this demo site, it also demonstrates other types of product bundling scenarios.
I'm not sure if you've tried the Bold app, but it appear to me that it would satisfy your technical needs. You mentioned that you didn't like the look of the apps you tried—I will note that their demo site isn't the prettiest, so if it's representative of how the app work you may need some custom tailoring of the layout on your site. I see no reason why it wouldn't be pretty straightforward though.
I can think of some other, let's say "creative" ways of accomplishing what you're looking for, but my feeling is that the best and easiest solution is going to be an all-inclusive app like this. Other solutions I can think of are more convoluted and would be harder to maintain. And to my knowledge, there's no getting around the fact that you will need an app at least for the discount portion of your issue.
Let me know what you think!
PS, if you install an app like this, I highly suggest that you make a backup of your theme first! It's possible this app will make changes to your theme that will break the functionality of your store if you uninstall it (because of the way it bypasses the checkout).
Also, their demo site doesn't show multiple product options (ie - color and size) in the bundle example, so I'm not sure how it will handle that out of the box. I would assume though that they've thought of this—if not, it should be fairly straightforward for a developer to add this bit.