Selling different products based on customer location - Possible?

WarbirdCoffee
Visitor
2 0 2

Dear All, 

My Company sells Coffee and Tea products from the UK to most parts of the world, and we're in the process of US branch of our business. 

However, due to some (I believe now changed) customs restrictions we have not been able to ship the products into the USA. Even if we could, the additional cost of postage to our USA (And, for that matter Canadian, South American, etc) customers has put them off purchasing any items. 

We have now got an established partnership with a US Roaster and have a range of products that can be shippied from within the USA. However, we don't want to have to create a different website, we just want for any customers that visit from certain locations to view a different range of products instead of our normal range. Another reason for this really is that the bags sold from within the States are a different weight, and have varied information on the labels.

So, in short Joe Bloggs from Texas goes to our website, which recognises he is from the USA, and only allows him to see products that our US customers can buy.

Regards, and thanks in advance.

Adam

Replies 3 (3)

TeamSpocket
Trailblazer
183 10 27

Hi @WarbirdCoffee ,

You can use a third-party app like GeoIP: Geolocation Redirects to redirect your customer to a specific page (or product collection) based on where your customer is from.  Please note that this app doesn't prevent your customer from accessing another page of your store. 

So for this, I would still suggest that you set up two Shopify accounts, one for the US market and another one for the UK.  You can make both stores look exactly the same (like a duplicate) and the only difference is the currency and the products that you are selling.  This way your customer doesn't even know that they are being redirected to another website. Many merchants are using this setup because it's effective and more convenient.

If you still prefer doing this with only 1 Shopify account, you can use the  GeoIP: Geolocation app and then hire a Shopify expert to help you develop a feature that prevents certain customers from accessing other pages. 

If you're also looking for products to sell via dropshipping, and discover top dropshipping suppliers of original US/EU products. You can try Spocket.   You can check the article here: What is Spocket and how does it work?

Cheers,
Spencer and the Spocket team

WarbirdCoffee
Visitor
2 0 2

Hi Spencer, 

Many thanks for the reply. You've certainly answered the question, and given us some options to think about.

Regarding the dropshipping question, that is already what we do with the coffee and tea products.

Regards,

Adam

Jeane_Ye
Excursionist
19 1 5

Hi, Adam,

After reading your question, I asked some website development technicians. They told me that it is technically achievable to display different product pages based on IP address positioning. Therefore, you may be able to propose to your website construction partner first to see if they can solve it for you, and then talk to your dropshipping partner about whether there is a conflict between the two.
Maybe my answer is not professional and brief, but I still hope it will be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Jeane

My opinion only represents myself, not the company.