Solved

Send videos (files or links) to the customer after buy digital product

Kjankko-US
Shopify Partner
236 4 41

Hi,

I have two different kinds of digital products in my store - PDF -files AND Videos (online course).

• Product X: Has PDF -files I'll send those files to the customers with "Digital Downloads" -App >> problem solved
  • Product Z: Has videos (online course) - What is the best way to send videos to the customer's email - after they have bought the product (online course)?

BR,

-KJ

Accepted Solution (1)
Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for these details, @Kjankko-US.

The files that are uploaded with the Digital Download app will be included in the file size limit of 5GB. From my own experience, PDF files can be a few MB, so if you only have one PDF, then I believe your file size will be within the limit of 5GB. Do you know the size of your file?

I apologize that I missed your request for an app. You could definitely use other apps if you would like. Here are some suggestions: 

Digital Downloads by Uplinkly - This app allows you to provide instant or delayed delivery, and the downloads are available right after checkout.

Easy Digital Products by Axel Hardy - You can customize your email templates and also include license keys for your products.

Courses by Architechpro OÜ - This app helps you sell courses on your store, and includes embedded videos.

I also recommend taking a look at similar apps here: Digital download apps.

These are third-party developed apps, so they are supported by the third-party developer. I recommend reaching out to the third-party developer by using their contact information under the “Support” section of the app’s page, should you have any questions or thoughts. 

The example with Product Z is expected with the Digital Downloads app. When you sell a product with variants, if the customer chooses a specific variant for that product, they will be able to download the file for that product. It you’re looking to add more to the file that the customer downloads, I would recommend going ahead with your suggestion here.

Let me know if you decide to use these apps and how things go!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @Kjankko-US.

Tira here to help. 

Thanks for reaching out and for providing these details. I really appreciate them. It sounds like you’ve already got a great set-up with Project X.

Here are my insights:

For project Z, from what I’ve seen some merchants do (I am also considering doing this for my own business), is that you can use the Digital Downloads app to sell your courses too, but I would love to dig a little bit more on where you are at right now before I provide you with any recommendations. There are also some guidelines in our help docs for selling digital products and services that you might want to check out here. We also have a Shopify Masters podcast on our blog that might provide you with some inspiration on niching with courses, how to create and market them and on building your business with them: Selling Courses and Membership Programs on Shopify

The videos that you have for your course, are these currently hosted anywhere, or they on your computer? 

Let me know and I would be happy to provide you with some tailored ideas to fit your business. I am also curious, what kinds of courses do you sell?

Kjankko-US
Shopify Partner
236 4 41

Hi @Tira 

For Product X: These products are e-books (PDF -files) that don't contain anything else than pdf files (NO videos etc.)

Product Z: Online courses which are videos on YouTube (hidden).

>> When the customer buys the product Z
>>> they receive the link to YouTube -> to their email (this needs to be automated of couse)

What you suggest, which is the best way to provide that link to the YouTube after customer has bought the course?

Kjankko-US
Shopify Partner
236 4 41

Hi @Tira 

Do you know some App's how can I manage this problem?

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Thanks for the additional details, @Kjankko-US. I appreciate them and this helps.

Here are some ideas I have that you might want to try:

1. You can keep on using the Digital Downloads app. If you’re just sending a link to YouTube, then you could add this link to a document with instructions (such as a Google Doc) and the customer can click on the link and go directly to the YouTube video. You would upload this file to your Digital Downloads app, so that when a customer places an order they’ll receive the doc as a file, and can open it up to click on your link to go directly to your course.
  2. The Digital Downloads app has a limit of 5GB per file upload. If your videos are within this filesize, I recommend uploading them into a folder, you can also try uploading them into a .ZIP folder and your customer can download the folder to their computer to watch.
  3. Create a product and make it private using an app like Locksmith.

I would love to know if this helps you achieve what you need to do. 

Kjankko-US
Shopify Partner
236 4 41

Hi @Tira 

1. You can keep on using the Digital Downloads app. If you’re just sending a link to YouTube, then you could add this link to a document with instructions (such as a Google Doc) and the customer can click on the link and go directly to the YouTube video. You would upload this file to your Digital Downloads app, so that when a customer places an order they’ll receive the doc as a file, and can open it up to click on your link to go directly to your course.

>> this is what I think also by myself -  would be one and easy way to solve this problem.

2. The Digital Downloads app has a limit of 5GB per file upload. If your videos are within this filesize, I recommend uploading them into a folder, you can also try uploading them into a .ZIP folder and your customer can download the folder to their computer to watch.

>> Does this file size matter if I just create a pdf -file which contains for example 1 page: "Welcome to this course etc AND >>the YouTube link to the course<<"

-----

I noticed one problem with Digital Downloads -App

One of my digital product has variations (A, B and C are the variations). Example:

Product Z

- 1. variation (A, B and C) this variation includes 3pcs of pdf -files 
- 2. variation (A) -> customer can buy only this variation A
- 3. variation (B) -> customer can buy only this variation B
- 4. variation (C) -> customer can buy only this variation C

Problem: I cannot add more than 1 pdf -file per variation. If I make one pdf that includes all the variations (A, B and C) this would work.

...I'm still searching for the perfect App for my situation. 

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for these details, @Kjankko-US.

The files that are uploaded with the Digital Download app will be included in the file size limit of 5GB. From my own experience, PDF files can be a few MB, so if you only have one PDF, then I believe your file size will be within the limit of 5GB. Do you know the size of your file?

I apologize that I missed your request for an app. You could definitely use other apps if you would like. Here are some suggestions: 

Digital Downloads by Uplinkly - This app allows you to provide instant or delayed delivery, and the downloads are available right after checkout.

Easy Digital Products by Axel Hardy - You can customize your email templates and also include license keys for your products.

Courses by Architechpro OÜ - This app helps you sell courses on your store, and includes embedded videos.

I also recommend taking a look at similar apps here: Digital download apps.

These are third-party developed apps, so they are supported by the third-party developer. I recommend reaching out to the third-party developer by using their contact information under the “Support” section of the app’s page, should you have any questions or thoughts. 

The example with Product Z is expected with the Digital Downloads app. When you sell a product with variants, if the customer chooses a specific variant for that product, they will be able to download the file for that product. It you’re looking to add more to the file that the customer downloads, I would recommend going ahead with your suggestion here.

Let me know if you decide to use these apps and how things go!

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @Kjankko-US

Tira here again.

How are things on your side? Did you move forward with any of the apps I suggested? I would love to know how things are going for you.

Talk soon,