Set Continue Selling when Out Of Stock for all my products.

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 4

I have a shop with lots of products. They sync from POSIM, my POS. I also do a lot of special orders, many of them come in quickly, so I'd like to set all my products so they can be sold, even if out of stock. I don't see any way to do this in Shopify. Does anyone know of a solution? I want this to be the default for any new items I add. Thanks so much!

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
157 16 30

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @Oz_Barron!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify.

At this stage, there is no option to allow overselling as a default setting, however, you are absolutely able to select this option for new and existing products.

For New Products
When creating your product, under inventory, ensure "Track Inventory" is ticked. This is generally ticked by default. Underneath that checkbox, you'll see another option to "Continue selling when out of stock". Once this is ticked, the product will be available for overselling when out of stock.

Bulk Updates for Existing Products
For existing products, you're able to edit them in bulk, so you can make the change once for all existing products. To allow overselling for these products, follow these steps:

1. Go to Products > All Products
  2. Select all products.
  3. Click "Edit products".
  4. Once the spreadsheet opens, click "Add fields" and select "Continue selling when out of stock".
  5. Tick the checkboxes for all products you'd like to continue selling when sold out.

We have a great guide around bulk editing that might be useful for you. If you'd like to import or update via products via a CSV, you can also check out this guide.

Have a great day!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 4

Thanks Miles. It's much appreciated. Allow me to request that as an option. Or by collection, or some other manner.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
157 16 30

Hey, @Oz_Barron!

I can absolutely pass on this feedback to our product team for you. It's a great idea to have this is a default option, or, as you suggested, being able to edit specific collections to oversell.

Thanks again for reaching out!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Totally effective and good control with this solution. Thank you Miles.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi there!

This is a great option, although I'd love my customers to KNOW that this is a backorder and the chances that the get the item is slim. Is there a way to communicate that? Right now it just says "Available Now!" which is not technically correct. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 4

For those following along, being able to edit these in bulk has worked great.

0 Likes