Set shipping address same as billing address

Tom-T
Tourist
8 0 1

I would like to make it that the shipping address is always the same as the billing address.  Is there a way to disable the option of entering a different address?

Thanks.

Replies 19 (19)

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

Hey, Tom!

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify.

You can't remove the option to edit the billing address entirely, but you can set up your checkout so that customers only need to enter their address once, unless they need to change the billing address for any reason.

Were you hoping to remove steps from your checkout to reduce effort for customers, or did you want to remove the option to edit billing information for a different reason?

To set this up, you can go to Settings>Checkout and make sure that this option is selected.

09-40-74u4j-a179m

Please let me know if you have any questions about what I've said!

Thank you,
Lizzy

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Tom-T
Tourist
8 0 1

Lizzy,

Thank you for the reply.

Basically, I only want the buyer to put in the billing address only.  I don't want an option of shipping the product to a different address.

I have seen credit card fraud before where the buyer wants to ship to a different address from the billing address. 

So, will that option do that?

Tom

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

Hey, Tom.

No, with this option your customers will still be able to enter two different addresses. They would just need to click on an extra link to be able to do so. It isn't directly requested that they enter their address twice.

That being said, you can see within the order whether they're using different addresses. If you see an order where the address doesn't match, you are welcome to contact the customer and request an explanation, or cancel the order and let the customer know that you weren't able to fulfill it for them.

I know that you mentioned you're concerned about fraud, so I wanted to share some fraud prevention resources with you. These will help, in addition to keeping an eye on the addresses.

What other methods of fraud prevention do you currently have set up within your store?

Lizzy

Tom-T
Tourist
8 0 1

Lizzy,

For this new site, there is nothing there yet.  Basically, like our current site, we charge their card manually after they place their order.  This allow us time to review the order before charging them.  Sometime, they put the billing and shipping as the same, but still put in a different card.

Tom

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

Hey, Tom.

I see, it sounds like you have a good strategy in place to make sure your orders are legitimate before collecting payment.

Sometime, they put the billing and shipping as the same, but still put in a different card.

I wanted to double check, by this, do you mean that they're entering a different address for the card, or that the card isn't matching the billing address?

Tom-T
Tourist
8 0 1

Lizzy,

Sometime the buyer wants to buy something for another person, so instead of putting their own billing information, they would put the other person's info in the billing and ship-to, and put their own name and number for the card.  I don't see why it's so difficult for them to correctly put in their own bill-to info.

Tom

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

Oh I see, thank you for the clarification! 

For those kinds of scenarios, giving them the option to enter a different billing address would be a benefit as it would enable them to ship somewhere else. If people entering the wrong information is something you see often on your store you could always leave a note on your cart or the product page which reminds them to make sure they've entering correct billing information even when sending a gift.

For any orders that come in and seem suspicious you can always email the customer to get an explanation. If their reasoning doesn't make you comfortable enough to ship the product you can always cancel the order. 

Lizzy

Reinaldoplaz
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Lizzy,

Where exactly within the order can I see if billing address is the same or different to shipping address? I am running the same issue with fraudulent activity and before fulfilling I want to check if both addresses are the same or not. I guess when they're the same it reduces significantly the chances of a scam order.

thanks!

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

Hey @Reinaldoplaz!

You can find the addresses in the Customer panel on the right hand side of the order screen. It will look like this:

Were you able to read through the articles I shared above as well? There is a lot of useful information in there regarding fraud prevention. Keep in mind, that you don't have to fulfill an order if you're concerned that it will turn out to be fraudulent. You can refund the customer and let them know that you won't be able to complete their request at this time.

Thank you!

Lizzy | Shopify Support

Baby_Travel
Visitor
1 0 5

Dear Lizy,

We can see that you are trying you best... But all Tom is asking, is. How to completely disable different shipping address? It would also be beneficial to us too. Simply, we don't want to ship anywhere else but to where the credit/ debit card is registered.

You are advising Tom to check every-single order.... That's not easy especially if you have 500+ orders per day?

So, do you have the answer to disable the different shipping method, please?

Many Thanks

Dan

Patrick_Sowa
Tourist
7 0 4

I am still looking for a solution to this as well

jhampleman
Visitor
1 0 3

I am looking for a solution also, due to fraud issue.  I simply want to require the shipping and billing addresses to be the same and not give the option to make them different.  Thanks!

crackleteal
Visitor
1 0 2

I’m waiting for the simple solution to enable “billing and shipping address must match”. Come on Shopify, why is this such a difficult task? 

ftracing
Excursionist
10 0 5

Shopify's answer is "If you see an order where the address doesn't match, you are welcome to cancel the order".  Well that would be bad business and a waste of time. 

On top of that, I had an order that the billing address was wrong and it still let the credit card charge go through anyways. AND it said Fraud Level LOW. huh!

It says: Billing street address doesn't match credit card's registered address Billing address ZIP or postal code doesn't match credit card's registered address

dylanpierce
Shopify Partner
210 3 94

Yes it's true and very frustrating. Especially when their free official anti-fraud app doesn't automatically cancel orders when a rule is triggered.

However, I'm going to play devils advocate here and debate that not allowing billing -> shipping addresses to match is bad for both you and your customers.

1. That policy causes your good acting customers friction and cancelling unnecessarily because of a bad policy

2. You're losing out on sales that are perfectly normal gifts for friends and family that don't live at the same address as the card holder

What you need is better customer verification.

When you can prove the identity of the card holder, even if the shipping address doesn't line up - it doesn't matter. You have the proof you need that the card is authorized.

Real ID does this, can can automatically challenge orders when the Shipping Address doesn't match the Billing Address automatically:

CleanShot 2021-03-08 at 16.13.20.png

The customer is sent an ID verification link automatically and then the burden of proof is on them, not you.

Happy to explain other triggers or how it works 

Thanks,
Dylan

Founder of Real ID - Verify your customer's real IDs easily & securely with modern A.I.

Want to see it in action? Check out our demo store.

educandi
Visitor
1 0 1

You're just like Shopify Dylan, you don't listen to what the customer wants. I have the same issue, I don't want customers entering two addresses, I just want their billing address. I don't ship anything, I e-mail licences. So I don't want to confuse my customers with multiple addresses. I'm sure that I lose orders because my customers think they are buying a boxed product when they see the option of shipping / billing addresses, despite what is written on every page on my site.

This is an area where Shopify thinks it knows best, presumes that everyone needs to offer this option and so doesn't offer the alternative. It's not the only one and at some point I'll leave Shopify because of limitations like this.

dylanpierce
Shopify Partner
210 3 94

Hi @educandi ,

Sorry, I didn't mean that it was an answer for the original question.

I agree, for digital downloads especially it doesn't make sense that the order shipping address capture isn't optional.

2 parts to this problem:

1. Unfortunately Shopify doesn't offer this option in your shop settings, it would make sense to include the option to disable the shipping address capture in "Settings > Checkout"

CleanShot 2021-05-05 at 11.22.04@2x.png

2. App developers are restricted from modifying the checkout experience (unless it's a Plus store). This is a huge hinderance, because we can't make this modification and there's not a large enough market for developers to take the risk on this niche.

The reasons for keeping developers from altering the checkout experience is pretty common sense - they don't want developers to skip credit card data. They already have a hard enough time policing fraud apps on the store, this administrative process would be far too expensive and time consuming.

So it really lands on them to offer a billing only option. Best thing to do is continually reach out to Shopify and try to work your way up the ladder to get the ear of someone in Product. It's not a feature that is growth focused for them, so it's really up to us to push it.

Sorry I wish I could be of more help.

Dylan

Founder of Real ID - Verify your customer's real IDs easily & securely with modern A.I.

Want to see it in action? Check out our demo store.

Dan444
Visitor
2 0 0

I would like this option too (disable the option of entering a different address).

Nowadays, too many people try to scam.

checking the time, this has been posted for four years. Could Shopify tell us the answer without answer something else.   

RedMonkeySports
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Having the same issue. Ended up getting way too frustrated with the inadequacies of Shopify. Called BigCommerce. Looks like they give you the ability to manage your code in the checkout. Will take some time but to switch over but I'm sick and tired of fraud and scams. Enough is enough Shopify... Listen to your customers or start losing them...