Why did my website sessions suddenly increase by 400%?

Hope55
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi, all.

Around 1 PM yesterday my site activity jumped to about 400% of the normal level.

Previously, I would get maybe 5,000 sessions, but Yesterday I got 23,882 sessions. This situation continues to this day, normally I have 15-30 people on the site at a time according to the Live View, but these two days I got 150-170! No increase in orders at all!

The session does not match Google Analytics data. The session present on Google Analytics is about 3,814. After checking the report, all the unusual sessions came from Direct, the landing page type is [App Generated], I never saw the [App Generated] before. Can anyone help to figure out what has caused this sharp increase??

Thanks a lot!

Replies 5 (5)

lucaroehrborn
Excursionist
16 2 1

@Hope55 

this is an interesting issue. Is the new traffic converting? If yes - you're getting real customers from somewhere. If not - you are probably getting spammed. 

I had that with one of my stores as well. Through the Shopify Dashboard where it says that the traffic comes from we found out that we got mentioned in a couple of online magazines. Could you share a couple of screenshots so we might see where the traffic comes from and whether it converts or not. 

All the best! 
Luca 

Hope55
Tourist
3 0 0

@lucaroehrborn 

Hi, lucaroehrborn.

No, there is no conversion increasing T^T

All the referral sources are Direct and the Ldp type is APP Generated. What is APP Generated???

Hope55_1-1616749225908.png

Hope55_2-1616749294790.png

lucaroehrborn
Excursionist
16 2 1

Hi @Hope55

I think this traffic is caused by a Shopify app you are using. At least that would be my guess because I've never seen that before. Did you install one of those "instant traffic apps"? 

Cheers, 
Luca ✌️

Hope55
Tourist
3 0 0

@lucaroehrborn 

No, I did not install any app about traffic. lol

lucaroehrborn
Excursionist
16 2 1

@Hope55 

hm... that's weird. What apps do you have installed? Does your Google analytics say anything more?