How can I limit shipping options to specific US states only?

BearArmsM4
10 0 0

Hi All, I want my store to ONLY ship to US States plus DC so 51/62 states in the US. However, when I test my product in production I still see all of the State options during checkout including Guam, Puerto Rice, etc. in the drop down. How do I remove these? Also, is it normal for a product under a pound to automatically calculate for USPS priority almost 8 dollars for shipping in the continental US? Curious if I made a mistake here as well. 

Thank you!!!

Replies 6 (6)

BobsMojo
Shopify Partner
449 44 114

Hi @BearArmsM4 

Regarding question 1: It sounds like you still have those outer states/territories active somewhere in one or more shipping zones in your shipping settings. I would go back and double check your shipping zones. 

Question 2: Yes. You are probably thinking of USPS First Class, which is usually cheaper (around $3 - $5) and is only available for packages under 1 lb. The cheapest Priority rate that I've seen (using commercial rates) is around the mid-$7 range. 

BearArmsM4
10 0 0

BearArmsM4_0-1608665822717.png

Can you see the issue with this? I selected only the 51 places I want to ship to. This is the only shipping profile I have set up.

BearArmsM4
10 0 0

Also, in my checkout, I do not see a first class option...The product is under a pound so it should be applicable. I put 7.5 ounces in the weight section. 

BearArmsM4_0-1608666382122.png

BobsMojo
Shopify Partner
449 44 114

@BearArmsM4 

No that looks correct (your set up in your first reply).  My mistake in misinterpreting your first question. After re-reading it I understand better the drop down you are referring to. That will not change regardless of your shipping settings. The states will still be available to select for the shipping address. However, if any state is selected that is not included in your shipping zones, the customer should get a message on the shipping selection screen that your store does not ship to their location.

As for the First Class rates, your default package that you have set up in your shipping settings will also affect the rates that appear at checkout. If the weight of your default package, combined with the product weight is 16 oz or greater then the First Class rate will not appear. Also, if any one of the default package dimensions is greater than 22" it will not show the rate.

BearArmsM4
10 0 0

That makes sense.... my package is definitely under a lb. 

BearArmsM4_0-1608684327036.pngBearArmsM4_1-1608684357687.pngBearArmsM4_2-1608684392463.png

BobsMojo
Shopify Partner
449 44 114

Activate the USPS First Class Package service as well.