Shopify Buy Button... OK for thousands of products?

Solved
julianbanks
3 0 0

Hi all,

I already have a storefront, but it's an affiliate currently and I'd like to transition to selling things myself.

The Shopify Buy Button channel seems like a good bet, since all I need to do is throw a snippet of code on each product page, and voila, I have an Add To Cart button, a checkout, payment processing, etc.

My question is, can I put the Shopify Buy Button code snippet on thousands of my product pages? I chatted with Shopify support, but they weren't able to answer and told me to contact the Shopify Experts. The experts weren't terribly helpful and just gave me canned "I will build your store for $xyz" responses. 

As far as I can see, all that changes from one product to another (i.e. one code snippet to another) is the product ID value. If I'm able to change that value dynamically, are there any downsides to this implementation?

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 3.27.44 PM.png

0 Likes
ScreenStaring
Shopify Partner
53 2 10

can I put the Shopify Buy Button code snippet on thousands of my product pages?

From the looks of the code used to generate the button it looks like a yes. 

As far as I can see, all that changes from one product to another (i.e. one code snippet to another) is theproduct IDvalue. If I'm able to change that value dynamically, are there any downsides to this implementation?

Why would you use the Buy Button instead of a traditional Shopify storefront? 

The downsides are mostly dependent on what your expectations and/or requirements  for your shop are but in general:

1) Having to insert and then likely modify of the button code for 1000s of products

2) Page load. If you have 10 buttons/products on a page, how long does it take them to load, will it hamper important metrics like time to first interaction?

3) Not being able to augment the button functionality with apps, say if you wanted to offer price breaks based on quantity purchases

4)  SEO. It's possible that is not affected but cannot say myself

ScreenStaring
Software Development & Consulting
julianbanks
3 0 0

@ScreenStaring wrote:

Why would you use the Buy Button instead of a traditional Shopify storefront? 

Thanks for the response. The reason is I already have a pretty established website with product pages. It's currently an affiliate, however (i.e. links out to other merchants where you can make the purchase). To transition it to where I would actually sell the product, the Buy Button seems attractive as an easy implementation where I could keep the "authority" (SEO and otherwise) that my website and product pages have gathered over years. 

Does that make sense? 

0 Likes
ScreenStaring
Shopify Partner
53 2 10

Yes makes sense. Then I would say the only "issues" are points 1 to 3 from my earlier comment. 

ScreenStaring
Software Development & Consulting
KieranR
Shopify Partner
297 24 89

This is an accepted solution.

Yeah I don't see any reason why not. 

Just code in a "shopify product ID" custom field or something for each PDP on your current site, then if field is not blank, insert shopify buy button with that product ID. 

You would actually need to create these products inside of your own Shopify account first though.

Seems doable, and there are ways to bulk manage stuff. Give it a test on a couple pages and roll it out. 

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.