Shopify Collection Page SEO

Carl11
Excursionist
14 0 6

We're in the midst of totally rebuilding our fly fishing site for Epic Fly Rods and our development partner is suggesting a layout on collection pages that has no descriptive text - sighting that it will be beneficial to get content in front of users sooner.

However, like most websites these collection pages are core landing pages, often the first a customer will encounter - they have extremely valuable SEO Juice and of course also count towards quality score for our PPC. (for campaigns pointing to these pages) We rank number one for our 4 main keywords - after a years hard work.

At present we're far too content heavy - I appreciate that

But to have collections with no descriptive content?? - Am I missing something here?

And or/ any thoughts on what might be effective SEO content on these collection pages? Number of words? images?

With Thanks!

0 Likes
KieranR
Shopify Partner
186 16 45

I think there might be some truth to what they are saying. Yeah descriptions are good for SEO, but getting people seeing your products is also important. One nice way to do it is to have an intro paragraph, with a [show more] button to show a couple more paragraphs.

In my experience you don't really need that much description copy anyway somewhere around 100-200 words is usually fine. Products should still showing above the fold.

There are some nice examples of PLP's over here: https://baymard.com/ecommerce-product-lists/benchmark/page-types/product-list-category

Full time Shopify SEO. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
Carl11
Excursionist
14 0 6

Cheers

0 Likes

For collection pages, you can research what keywords your customers are searching, e.g. some brand name you are reselling, a niche product type you own. Just add these keywords to your collection page. You are basically good.

For the product images on the collection, you can add descriptive texts for the image ALT tags. 

IMO, blog contents are more useful for this type of ecom business since it emphasizes more on intangible service. So you can create tutorial videos, product demo videos on youtube. Embed the videos into blog articles. Write some articles like, How to choose the best fishing rods (you know better topics than me) with your products or collections links. So you can drive traffics from youtube & google at once. 

Videos are put higher on the search results. It's definitely a shortcut to 'hack' the high ranking

SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview
0 Likes
Carl11
Excursionist
14 0 6
Thats helpful, thank you
0 Likes