Shopify IPs blocked by router - IP has entries in AbuseIPDB

Excursionist
34 0 5

Hello,

I use a Synoloy router that has a web protection app called "safe access" running. This app blocks malicious website... While visiting various shopify shops I found that a lot of them get blocked.

My guess is that Synology uses databases like abuseIPDB, where a shopify IP is listed as 42% abuse probability.

https://www.abuseipdb.com/check/23.227.38.65

Lets assume other webfilter software uses similar methods or DBs like synology safe access, a lot of shopify shops end up being blocked and even lose reputation on customer side....

In my opinion this is a huge problem affecting a lot of merchants and I wonder what shopify does to solve it?

Any comment from shopify would be nice :-)

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 0

I have recently just found out that my ubiquiti unifi router is identifying certain shopify IP addresses as malicious sites and I cannot access them.  This means that millions of people around the world cannot access those sites.  If anyone knows how to fix this situation, please let me know. Thanks.

0 Likes
Excursionist
34 0 5

Hi CheshireCatt,

I guess this needs to be fixed by shopify. 

The problem is that shopify has a bunch of IP addresses for their network and all shopify shops "run" on IPs from that pool. If a shop is scamming customers their customers mark that IP as scam so that the shopify-IPs ends up marked as scam/spam in various databases. This often happens on shared webservers (bad-neighborhood) - bad sites appearing on the same IP can affect your rating. Shopify is like shared hosting for shops, they run a million shops on some IPs.

A solution to this would be that shopify sells plans with dedicated IPs. In other words: you pay for your own IP. BTW: this would probably also help your SEO!

A similar problem arises with emails: we have a lot of customers complaining that they don't receive email from shopify. Problem here is that shopify uses only a bunch of smtp servers to send out all emails from all shopify shops. Disappointed customers marks email as spam -> server gets bad spam score or gets on a blacklist -> mails aren't delivered

A solution to this would be: Shopify should let us use our own servers to send out mails.

So technically there are solutions to solve such spam issues and I think a lot of shopify customers would love to pay for that. 

Maybe a shopify Guru can join us and give some insights why or how shopify plans to improve on being marked as spam!

cheers

1 0 1

/manage/site/default/v2/settings/security/threat-management

in there turn off the button

Restrict Access to Malicious IP Addresses
Prevent clients with IP addresses known to be malicious from accessing your networks.

Just had the exact same issue and after making Virgin Business check our routes to Shopify they  came back saying all was good. Unifi Gateway...

Tourist
4 0 0

I appreciate the reply. Thank you.  And yes,  I am aware that I can turn this button off on my router to prevent the problem from my end (but thanks for posting that as I am sure many other people don't realise this). BUT the problem remains...... being that millions of other people around the world who have this router will be blocked from seeing my website and the many others that have that common shopify IP address, unless they know to turn that button off, and that is what I am trying to solve.  What is the point of having an online business and paying for advertising, if so many people are blocked from seeing it due to the shopify IP address being blocked on that popular brand of router?  

It is beyond frustrating.  I would expect that Shopify should either organise to get the shopify IP address removed from the router's malicious sites list or provide innocent customers with a new shopify IP address.

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 0

Yes indeed Minc/Excurcionist. Thanks for the reply.   Just checked and since I put in my last support request to shopify explaining the situation, they must have done something, because the site/IP address is now working and doesn't appear to be blocked by the router anymore.  So it appears the situation may have just been fixed. 

0 Likes
4 0 0

Thanks for sharing. It is very useful in my work. I can say that the problem is that Shopify has a bunch of IP addresses for their network and all Shopify shops "run" on IPs from that pool. But safety also depends on how good is your router's firewall and how well it is protected, both internally and externally. I am tired of routers, I have only problems with them. I can say that I am an expert in routers because I know all their problems and their solutions. If you want to find a solution, you just need to access this site 172.16.0.1.

0 Likes