Shopify Theme Kit (on multiple computers)

farabundo
2 0 2

I'm building a Shopify site/theme using the Shopify Theme Kit. So far I've been doing this on one computer. I'm curious if it's possible to set things up on another computer and continue to build the site from there?

In other words: the way the theme kit works it the theme files are locally on my computer, I edit them, and they get uploaded to Shopify. Would following the "Configure an existing theme." step on the theme kit tutorial then download those same files locally (on my other computer), and I could continue work as if nothing happened?

Thanks for any help/clarification.

dannyelo
Excursionist
18 1 1

Hey farabundo,

Did you figure it out. I have the same question.

Thanks,

0 Likes
farabundo
2 0 2

I ended up not needing to but I think if you did "theme get" on a different machine, and then did "theme download" every time you wanted to work on it (to pull any changes from the Shopify site that aren't reflected in your local, 2nd computer) it should work fine

Alex_mcl
Shopify Partner
23 5 10

You could also use Github in your development pipeline, and push the code to Github and then download when you go to a different computer. You also get the benefit of the brances and reverting your code which ThemeKit doesn't cater for. 

www.mcleancreative.co.uk
dannyelo
Excursionist
18 1 1

Hey Alex,

Thanks for your answer, I will try that.

Have a great day,

Daniel

0 Likes
dannyelo
Excursionist
18 1 1

Thanks farabundo, I will try this also.

0 Likes