Solved

Shopify domain

RikutoNakamura
Excursionist
40 1 5

Can I use a domain I already have with shopify? For example, I'm using test.com for my homepage, but I want to use it for shopify.

Accepted Solutions (2)

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @RikutoNakamura

Tira here to help.

Thanks for your question. If you already have a third-party domain hosted through a third-party, and you want to keep it hosted with your third-party domain provider, you can connect the domain through your Shopify admin and this will point your third-party domain to your Shopify store.

Here are the steps to connect your domain to Shopify:

• From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Domains.
  • Click Connect existing domain.
  • Enter the domain that you want to connect, such as test.com.
  • Click Next.

Once you’ve set this up, you’ll also need to point your domain to Shopify from your third-party provider.

After logging into your third-party domain provider, you’ll need to edit the following DNS settings:

• Your A record should point to Shopify's IP address, which is 23.227.38.65.
  • Your www CNAME record should point to shops.myshopify.com

Editing these domain settings might have an effect on other things, such as email forwarding. You can contact your domain provider to find out how any changes might affect your DNS settings.

Some domain providers, such as Hover, GoDaddy, Google, and 1&1 IONOS, can automatically connect your domain for you.

Who is your third-party domain provider? Let me know and I would be happy to provide you with specific resources to help.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

I’m glad I was able to help, @RikutoNakamura

Thanks for checking, that’s right, if you are just looking to connect your domain, and want to keep your third-party domain hosted with your third-party domain provider, then you can use the steps I provided earlier. 

If you want to follow through with a domain transfer, we have the steps listed in our help doc here; Transferring a domain.

Is this what you were looking to do?

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @RikutoNakamura

Tira here to help.

Thanks for your question. If you already have a third-party domain hosted through a third-party, and you want to keep it hosted with your third-party domain provider, you can connect the domain through your Shopify admin and this will point your third-party domain to your Shopify store.

Here are the steps to connect your domain to Shopify:

• From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Domains.
  • Click Connect existing domain.
  • Enter the domain that you want to connect, such as test.com.
  • Click Next.

Once you’ve set this up, you’ll also need to point your domain to Shopify from your third-party provider.

After logging into your third-party domain provider, you’ll need to edit the following DNS settings:

• Your A record should point to Shopify's IP address, which is 23.227.38.65.
  • Your www CNAME record should point to shops.myshopify.com

Editing these domain settings might have an effect on other things, such as email forwarding. You can contact your domain provider to find out how any changes might affect your DNS settings.

Some domain providers, such as Hover, GoDaddy, Google, and 1&1 IONOS, can automatically connect your domain for you.

Who is your third-party domain provider? Let me know and I would be happy to provide you with specific resources to help.

RikutoNakamura
Excursionist
40 1 5

Thank you for being so clear.
Thank you for your help.

RikutoNakamura
Excursionist
40 1 5

I would like to confirm one thing.
This is not a domain transfer, they both want to use the same domain
Is it safe to follow the answer above?

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

I’m glad I was able to help, @RikutoNakamura

Thanks for checking, that’s right, if you are just looking to connect your domain, and want to keep your third-party domain hosted with your third-party domain provider, then you can use the steps I provided earlier. 

If you want to follow through with a domain transfer, we have the steps listed in our help doc here; Transferring a domain.

Is this what you were looking to do?

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Thanks for accepting my post as a solution, @RikutoNakamura. I'm glad I could help.

Cheers,