Shopify system limit to Blocks limited to 250

sk11
1 0 0

I am getting this strange error and cannot find anything that will help with this:

I have a repeater block field however it is now broken with this error message and I can't add or remove blocks now:

Blocks limit exceeded
This section has 255 blocks. The maximum allowable amount of blocks is 250. Please delete some of your blocks in the code editor
before editing this section.

Please see the screenshot below

error-1.jpgerror-2.jpg

Thanks,

0 Likes
NoufStore
3 0 0

I would always recommend you duplicate your theme before any new amendments, this way you can always rollback to the previous status. 

0 Likes
gina-gregory
Shopify Expert
710 48 169

If the theme editor UI is not allowing you to delete blocks, you can delete the blocks in the schema_data.json file in your theme under Config.

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 8.27.04 AM.png

0 Likes
TyW
Community Manager
Community Manager
540 38 867

I wanted to share this topic from @Shopify in case it helps others who may find this topic  

Preparing for the new Theme Editor

We rebuilt the theme editor to make it faster and easier to use. The rebuilt theme editor has been rolling out to merchants as of September 2020.

The new theme editor doesn’t support theme objects with more than 250 sub-objects, such as sections with 250 or more blocks, or blocks with 250 or more settings. This means that you might need to review and edit some of your sections and blocks so you can upgrade to the new theme editor. Below are some steps you can follow to find objects that are not compatible, and best practices to ensure that you stay under the 250 object limit going forward.

Best practices for reducing the number of blocks and settings in your theme

Click here to read more! 

TyW | Online Community Manager @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
LitExtension
Shopify Partner
679 68 119

Hi @sk11,

Since Sep 2020, the new theme editor doesn’t support theme objects with more than 250 sub-objects (included sections with 250 or more blocks, or blocks with 250 or more settings). By doing that, Shopify wants to make it faster and easier to use.

Therefore, you need to review, edit and ensure that you stay under 250 objects. This post will show you how to minimize the number of blocks and settings in your theme. Please take a quick look at this and maybe you can find the best solutions for your situation.

Hope this answer is useful to you.

LitExtension - Shopping Cart Migration Expert
If our answer is helpful then please accept as solution!
Are you looking for a solution to migrate to Shopify? Contact us for further assistance.
Try our FREE DEMO now!
0 Likes