Slow loading collection and product pages

Highlighted
2 0 0

I'm troubleshooting load speed issues on our Shopify store.

I have already reduced the number of resources that load/gotten rid of apps/updated js/lazy loading/scaled down images etc.

Yet our product and collection pages take 5-6s to load. There seems to be a 2-3s delay before the page even starts to load/render. Once it starts, it loads pretty quickly.

Our collections are large and some of our products have the full 100 variants allowed. In fact those with 100 variants load much more slowly than those with 27 for example.

What I'd like to understand is, are we experiencing Shopify's natural limits in performance given the above, or is there something in the code/theme that's causing this delay before render, and therefore requires further investigation.

Can anyone shed any light? Do large stores experience performance issues on Shopify?

Here are a couple of products. The first has 27 variants (loads in 3-4s) and the second has 100 variants (loads in 5-6s). Both experience a 2-3s delay before load/render.

https://myarthaus.com/products/guardian-1

https://myarthaus.com/products/revenge

Thanks in advance

Update: The issue was present before any existing apps were installed. Further I've tested removing them since, I've also tested removing the font, and although there were minor improvements, they weren't significant enough to explain the long load times.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
714 106 265

Not sure that number of variants is really your issue here. You still have lots going on that will add to your load time:

- Large font file (Graphik) which is a 250k load

- Lots of Yotpo resources loading (one of which is broken and causing a 404 btw)

- Klaviyo

- OptInmonster

- Various other apps

Basically all this stuff adds up and impacts your load time. To compare the difference without it all (but still with all your variants) you could download a new version of your theme and speed test that i.e. without all the apps/fonts etc. Would be interesting to see what difference they are really making. But then again some of these apps are useful, so it's a balance.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

The issue was there before any apps were installed. Also we've tested removing Yotpo etc since.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
42 0 6

Shopify is using Liquid template language to run simple tasks on server side and execute commands from code. if you have many variants it takes longer for Shopify servers to handle it, and your delay time is simply waiting for server to respond. I would divide one huge product with multiple variants into smaller groups, alternatively you can add some animation when page loads, so your customers don't go away, like Preloader App 

Maciej Tokarczyk
Shopify Expert
0 Likes