Social media sharing image not updating!

AltesseCashmere
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, 

My social media sharing image is not updating properly and is showing the old image.

Any help would be appreciated!

Juliette

Replies 5 (5)

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 303

Hey, @AltesseCashmere.

Welcome to Shopify Community. My name is Olivia and I work here.

Thanks for sharing your question with us. First I want to make sure that you've properly updated your social media sharing image. In most themes, this can be done by:

1. Head to Admin > Online Store > Themes > Customize
  2. Look through your theme editor to find something along the lines of 'social sharing image'
  3. Update the image and make sure to hit save

Once that is updated, you may need to use debugger tools if an old image is still appearing.

For Facebook:

If this is occurring on Facebook, use their developer tool to scrape the newest image at https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/. Insert your store URL at this link and click "debug."

For Twitter:

On Twitter you can access a similar developer debugging tool at https://cards-dev.twitter.com/validator. Enter your site URL here and then click "preview card."

If this is happening on other social sharing sites, like Pinterest or LinkedIn, then make sure to check out this free online tool called Social Share Preview. You can enter your site link to check against all social media sites at the same time and also access unique debugger tools for each social media platform.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2sticksgear
Visitor
2 0 0

I know this is an old thread, however I'm experiencing the same issue.  However, I'm noticing it when I share my site through a text (the image hasn't updated and neither has the text).  This was done under preferences/ title and meta description.  And under social sharing image.  Thanks!

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 303

Thanks for following up with me, @2sticksgear!

Can you please provide some more context around this issue. Is the updated information not updating only for text messages, but appears on all other social sharing platforms?

Furthermore, can you provide me with some examples of this occurring through screenshots to help me better understand your experience? More information like the following will also be helpful:

• device you are using
  • if you're able to replicate it when texting through another phone/device
  • if outdated information is appearing anywhere else

I look forward to your reply,

2sticksgear
Visitor
2 0 0
Thank you, Olivia. It seems that it has finally updated. It was the pic
and info that shows when I share through text messaging. Guess there is
quite a bit of lag.

Rod
Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 303

Thank you so much for that update, @2sticksgear!

That does make sense as sometimes there can be a lag to update all information across all areas. I am so glad to hear it has been resolved though and we are here if anything else comes up.

Warm regards,