Store flow, architecture questions/validation

AWBE
4 0 0

I am building a product customizer app that will be hosted and run on the clients domain.  When the user has completed customization, she can add it to her cart (via the Shopify API).  She can then customize additional products or checkout.  Selecting checkout will take her to the Shopify cart page, and checkout will proceed as normal.  The Shopify store belongs to a third party (order fulfillment).  I am working with the brand and the order fulfillment partner to create this solution.

A few questions:

1) Planning to use the Shopify API to query for products in the clients store for customization and present them in the app.  Seems pretty straight forward, but is this valid?

2) Customization of a product might include anywhere from 2 to 20 different attributes with ten's to hundred's of variations.  I understand that products can have up to three attributes with a limitation of 100 variations -- so that is not going to work.  However, products can have meta info attached to them.  Can I use the meta info tags to add customized information (this customers customizations) to a product when it is added to the cart?

On a broader theme, the customization app will eventually be expanded to other brands (of the same client).  Each brand has its own domain, the customizer app will allow customization of only the brands products (e.g. brand1 products won't show up in brand2's customizer and vice-versa).  All brands use the same order fulfillment partner.

3) Can an API query of the shopify store inventory be limited to the desired brand?

4) When the customer is ready to checkout, can she be directed to the brands subdomain on the order fulfillment partners store?  That is, the customer is customizing a brand1 product on brand1.com, she adds product to cart, selects checkout and lands on brand1.fulfillment.com. Where brand1.fulfillment.com is the shopify store skinned to meet the brand1 branding criteria.  Similarly, a customer customizing a brand2 product would end up on brand2.fulfillment.com which is skinned to meet brand2 branding look and feel.

We are trying to avoid having one store per brand (to save costs, management overhead, logins, etc)

We are anticipating the need for an implementation partner and issuing an RFP -- authoritative, experienced answers are appreciated!

Thanks

tom

0 Likes
AWBE
4 0 0

Answering my own questions:

1. Yes

2. Maybe.  Still investigating.

3. Yes, if the product are tagged and/or categorized correctly.

4. Still investigating.

0 Likes