Sub Menu Loop

Shopify Expert
158 0 39

Hi all,

I am making an unusual type of submenu that features submenus with more than one link-list. I am finding that something about referencing the link-lists is not working, and I can't figure out why.

The liquid in question goes like this:

{% for link in linklists.main-menu.links %}
    {% if linklists[link.handle].links.size > 0 %}

<ul class="submenu-list" id="{{ link.title }}">      

<li>
                <div>
                    {% for link in linklists[link.handle].links %}
                        <span class="{% if forloop.first %} first{% elsif forloop.last %} last{% endif %}{% if l.active %} active{% endif %}">{{ link.title | link_to: link.url }}</span>
                    {% endfor %}
                </div>
            </li>

<li>
                <div>
                    {% for link in linklists[link.handle]-2.links %}
                        <span class="{% if forloop.first %} first{% elsif forloop.last %} last{% endif %}{% if l.active %} active{% endif %}">{{ link.title | link_to: link.url }}</span>
                    {% endfor %}
                </div>
            </li>

</ul>
    {% endif %}
{% endfor %}

The issue is that the second menu does not show up unless it remove the list formatting. I realise it's a bit of a sideways use of liquid to append '-2' to the end of 'linklists[link.handle]', but it works for this purpose. Or at least it did in testing, but now not when I have the list structure in place.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Cam

Head fox at Elkfox | App and web, design and development | Digital commerce experts | https://elkfox.com
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9779 86 1527

That actually works? I'll have to try that!

Are you also sure you're not creating conflicts with the link object by nesting them and referring to each one with the same name (link)?

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
158 0 39

Yeah it does seem to work without the list structure. It's an odd one.

I'm going to write a blog post about it once I have it working properly. Good for some lateral uses.

PS. I tried to cycle it so that you could have infinite submenus in columns, but my head exploded :p

Head fox at Elkfox | App and web, design and development | Digital commerce experts | https://elkfox.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
371 0 52

Cam,

I don't think something like

Would ever work as its not how you access an array. However you can accomplish what you want with the below

<li>
                <div>
                    {% endfor %}
                </div>
            </li>

<li>
                <div>
                  {% assign link2 = link.handle|append:'-2' %}
                    {% for link in linklists[link2].links %}
                    {% endfor %}
                </div>
            </li>

</ul>
    {% endif %}
{% endfor %}

Thanks,

Ryan

Want an app but can't find what you need? Let us know we custom build apps for Free
1 Like
Shopify Expert
158 0 39

Hi Ryan,

You're totally right about the correct way to do it. Thanks for that. Very helpful :)

Interestingly it did work, but only with a very specific arrangement that I haven't been able to reproduce. I think I essentially just happened upon a quirk.

Thanks again.

Cam

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
158 0 39

Hi Ryan,

Your code looks right to me, and the append function should surely work. But for some reason it does not. I can't for the life of me figure out why. If you manage to spot anything wrong with it, please do let me know.

--------------

EDIT:

It works perfectly! Thank you very much. I will share the link here when I do a write up about what I have used it for.

Thank you :)

Cam

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
371 0 52

Hey Cam,

I had an idea about looping this so you don't need to hard code if you have 4 link lists that you need to join together. It turns out my idea works so here is what I ended up with

<li>
                <div>
                    {% endfor %}
                </div>
            </li>
          {% include 'additional-linklists' with 2 %}

</ul>
    {% endif %}
{% endfor %}

And then you need to make a snippet called "additional-linklists.liquid" which contains

{% assign link2 = link.handle | append:'-' | append:additional-linklists %}
{% if linklists[link2].links.size > 0 %}
            <li>
                <div>
                    {% endfor %}
                </div>
            </li>
{% assign next = additional-linklists | plus: 1 %}
{% include 'additional-linklists' with next %}
{% endif %}

If you used consistent naming such as make the first section being called Home 1 rather than Home you could replace the first instance as well.

Want an app but can't find what you need? Let us know we custom build apps for Free
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
158 0 39

Hi Ryan,

Cool idea!

What I had done was create an if statement to allow up to 4 submenus in one:

<ul id="{{ link.title }}">

<div class="submenu-list">
				<div class="row">

<div class="large-3 columns">

{% endfor %}

</div>

{% assign link2 = link.title | append: '-2' %}
					{% if linklists[link2].links.size > 0 %}

{% endfor %}

</div>
					{% endif %}

{% assign link3 = link.title | append: '-3' %}
					{% if linklists[link3].links.size > 0 %}

{% for link in linklists[link3].links %}
								{% endfor %}

</div>
					{% endif %}

{% assign link4 = link.title | append: '-4' %}
					{% if linklists[link4].links.size > 0 %}

{% for link in linklists[link4].links %}
								{% endfor %}

</div>
					{% endif %}

</div>
			</div>

</ul>

{% endif %}
{% endfor %}

Which works perfectly. But obviously adding the snippet to allow more options is an excellent addition.

You can see what I did with it on our demo/testing site at http://elkfox.myshopify.com

I think what we have here is pretty cool, and very useful for unwieldy large menus :)

Cheers,
Cam

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
371 0 52

In the past I've always tackled this problem with JS but I do always prefer a hardcoded solution especially when it comes to an element that visitors can be impatient for. A good thing would be to stick a class on each group the same as the link.handle such as "submenu-home-1" and that way you can be creative with the css styling on a per column basis.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
158 0 39

Very true! ...like adding a :before with content if there is a need for a column title :)

0 Likes