Can Klarna be used for recurring subscriptions on Shopify?

sledomaltes
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi community! Hoping to get some technical help here.

Background:

I am a software developer and business owner trying to set up an E-commerce which relies heavily on subscriptions. (95% of products will be subscription only). Being based in Sweden paying with Klarna is an absolute must. However when I read up on subscription methods and apps all I see is that klarna is not an accepted way of paying for a recurring subscription in any of the apps available.

Additional info: 

Being a software developer I am comfortable in making my own solutions if necessary, also the website itself will be a gatsby website working headless/JAM stack. So no Liquid solutions please 🙂

Ideal use case: 

My ideal user flow would be:
- User picks product for subscription and adds to cart

- User gets redirected somewhere for payment handled by not me (shopify checkout, klarna checkout w/e)

- User gets an invoice per month until canceling (somehow)

Question:
How do I do this? Is there a store app i need to install? Do I have to build my own? Should I just just a different platform than shopify? (please no :-()

Cheers and <3,
Alexander

Replies 3 (3)

KristiAtKlarna
Shopify Partner
205 14 39

Hi @sledomaltes / Alexander,

Whatever code accepts your store's subscriptions would need to initiate & integrate & accept the payment method.  Klarna Payments (or Klarna Checkout) can support subscriptions for some regions (like Sweden), more details: https://developers.klarna.com/documentation/klarna-payments/use-cases/customer-token-signup/ but currently that integration code would need to be written, as I'm not aware of any Shopify subscription apps that currently support Klarna.  

jasonbillies
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi.

Have you found a solution for Klarna payment on subscription plans? I have the same issue and can't find a good way to solve it 😞

sledomaltes
Visitor
2 0 1
Hi!

I'm afraid not 😞 I gave it two more days of trying then gave up. If I
recall correctly the idea I had was to write my own shopify plug in to
handle it but I decided it wasn't worth the time and effort. Good luck and
I hope you solve it! (please update this thread if you do 😍)

// Alexander