The "Shopify://" value in JSON or Schema settings

weeklyhow_ofcl
Tourist
5 0 2

Hello,

This is my very first community post and so I sincerely apologize if this somehow looked odd or sounding like I'm asking too much.

So, I've stumbled across this value in one of the JSON template files of Dawn:

weeklyhow_ofcl_0-1628191865173.png

As you can see in the highlighted image, there is this value that confuses me and I'm not sure if this is new or not. I assume it is new since this isn't even covered in the official documentation of JSON templates or even in schema settings.

I believe I've done my research. Google, asked on Twitter, I even joined a discord to ask about this and this post is my last resort to get information.

So, by the looks of it, it looks like it's like GraphQL. You know, the "gql://Shopify/blah blah blah".

So, my question is, how does the "Shopify://" work? What are the parameters that we can use to retrieve data?

I guess this is now the best way to retrieve data because liquid will no longer work in JSON templates.

I'm just posting this so that I can share this with my students.

I would absolutely appreciate any answer.

Replies 4 (4)

weeklyhow_ofcl
Tourist
5 0 2

Do we really have nothing about this? 😕

samthewebb
Shopify Partner
25 3 6

You know how in a URL setting you can either choose from a list of links within your store or you can write your own URL. This is the syntax Shopify uses if you choose from the list and also it allows Shopify to populate the link with the correct domain no matter what storefront the theme is on (good for presets I guess).

There's probably more to it than that, but so far that's what I can gather.

Sam Webb
https://samthewebb.com
sam@samthewebb.com
weeklyhow_ofcl
Tourist
5 0 2

Thanks Sam, but we honestly get that already. One thing that is missing is the parameters that we can use for this "shopify://" endpoint (I guess that's an API endpoint). Because yeah, so far, what I know is you can use it as:

1. shopify://shop_images/...
  2. shopify://collections/...
  3. shopify://pages/...

You see what I mean? So I assume there are more parameters or "endpoints" that we can use. I know this is important because this will make JSON templates much easier to work on. And like I said, this will help my students too just in case they have to implement there own features.

samthewebb
Shopify Partner
25 3 6

I feel like you could pretty quickly figure out what every URL type is by changing the value of a URL section setting and then checking how it displays in the JSON template within Shopify. Then doing that over and over again for every object type. Probably like sub 30 minutes and for sure no more than an hour to go through every object type.

But I agree if it's something Shopify is expecting people to use in theme development they should probably write some documentation on it so people don't have to do that.

Sam Webb
https://samthewebb.com
sam@samthewebb.com