Too many items being added to cart

Highlighted
17 0 0

Hi everyone!

I'm using a custom product page template for some of our products that limits the quantity someone can order to 1.

Recently, something must have changed, because now, when someone orders the item, things get added to their cart double. So they will choose 1 product and 1 add on, and end up with everything x2 in their cart.

What could be the issue here, and how can I solve it?

Our store is juvalicious.myshopify.com

This is an example for a product where this is happening:

https://juvalicious.com/products/produce-box-delivery?variant=33512382169133

Best,

Julika

0 Likes
Highlighted

Your product page is using JavaScript to add the items to the cart. It's making multiple requests. In my case it added the Donation Delivery product twice and the Produce Box once. The can be see in the blow screenshot:

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 7.44.03 PM.png

See the 3 calls to add.js?

First adds: 33256802123821 (which can be seen as well)

Second adds: 33815500455981

Third adds: 33256802123821 for a 2nd time. 

Whoever added this will have to fix it to work as you've specified. 

ScreenStaring
Software Development & Consulting
0 Likes
Highlighted
17 0 0

Hello,

Thanks for your reply!

I'm not sure where those requests are coming from. What do you mean by "whoever added 'this' "? Is there a piece of code I can look out?

0 Likes
Highlighted

What do you mean by "whoever added 'this' "?  

I meant the person that customized the product page.

Is there a piece of code I can look out?

Yes, though this can get complicated. I would ask the person who customized this page. Or I would determine what the culprit could be by looking at the apps you are using to assist with the "Add to Cart" process.

You can go to edit your theme code  and look in product.liquid for code that refers to "AddToCartText-product-max1" or "onsubmit" or "submit" but there are 10s or ways to do this thing so it may be in another Liquid file or somewhere external, loaded by an app. 

It's difficult to say without directly looking at your apps and theme.  

ScreenStaring
0 Likes
Highlighted
17 0 0

Hi again!

I had a chat with Shopify support yesterday and new things I learned is that 

1) It's a browser cache issue - the Shopify support person wasn't able to recreate the problem on their end

2) It's happening across the different product pages, so it shouldn't have anything to do with the changes I made for that specific template.

I don't know if that narrows it down a bit?

I'm at a loss of how to fix it - Shopify support kind of left me with the info that it's a cache issue. But it doesn't just happen to me, it'll happen to our customers, too.

0 Likes
Highlighted

1) It's a browser cache issue - the Shopify support person wasn't able to recreate the problem on their end

"cache issue" is very broad. Do you have specifics? Though really I do not believe this to be the case. It's 100% clear that when the button is pressed there's JavaScript code adding items to the cart more than once (per my screenshot). The only way I can see this as being a "cache issue" is if the code was fixed but the fix is still not appearing on your site.

It's happening across the different product pages, so it shouldn't have anything to do with the changes I made for that specific template.

That possibly eliminates the apps. The only true way to resolve it is have someone look at the code in-depth. I take it you don't have anyone to do this? It's clear what's causing this but it's not clear who/what is doing it.
ScreenStaring
0 Likes
Highlighted
17 0 0

I see what you mean! 

I have no additional info, and yes, I also don't have a developer to help with this. I submitted a job request for a Shopify Expert to come and have a look. I've often been able to fix things on my own with the help of the Community - we are a very small business and practically operate without a budget for these things. But there are definitely limitations to what I can do, and this might be a case to get a professional involved.

Thank you for your help!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not sure what the cost is there but we can definitely help as well –right now.

If you want to reach out to us at our email (see footer or, via phone) great otherwise please let me know how it goes!

ScreenStaring
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi 

0 Likes
Highlighted
17 0 0
Hi there,

We had 2 apps that didn't seem to work too well together: Cart Convert and
Infinite Options.
I'm not sure exactly what the culprit was, but the folks from ShopPad
(Infinite Options) fixed the issue.

Here's what they told me:

"We were able to replicate the issue you were experiencing with bundled
products and products duplicating, it looks like it may have been connected
to when the Cart Convert app was loading on the product pages.

We have added some additional code to give Infinite Options priority when
loading and I have not been able to replicate the issue since applying the
code."

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Julika
0 Likes