Track clicks on specific LINK (subdomain)

SachaBC
Excursionist
50 2 2

Hello,

This question isn't specific about Shopify, but I was wondering if it's possible to create a subdomain, for example your shop is myshopifyshop.com, and you would link your website on social media. To track how many users come from that source, you would create a subdomain, as example insta.myshopifyshop.com or myshopifyshop.com/insta and you would be able to see, how many people clicked on that specific link. Is it possible through Shopify (without apps) or your domain service, or any other online service?

Replies 2 (2)

Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

Hey, there.

Dallas here from the Shopify Social Care team.

Adding trackable subdomains to your URL isn't something that is available natively on the Shopify platform, but I do have a resource that I think would work well for you. If you wanted to track information without having to create subdomains you could use the website called bit.ly. A lot of companies and people use that because it allows you to make long URLs into shortened URLs while also allowing you to track information about that link. Each shortened link is really easy to make and then you can track the data for as long as that Bitly link is in use.

I also want to see if you know about the Shopify Analytics feature?

In the Shopify Admin, you're actually able to track where customers are coming from. You can see if they are coming from Instagram, Twitter, Facebook etc. All you would have to do is go to your Shopify Store Admin and then click on Analytics >Dashboard.

2020-01-r5qbz-ohqog

Under that, you have the ability to view a lot of different options for statistics and analytics that you can go over, but the ones that it sounds like will be most interesting to you are:

- Online store sessions by traffic source

- Online store sessions by social source

There are also options like "Sales by traffic (social) source" or you can even track by the device.

In all honesty, I think that would be easier than using a Bitly link, but have you had a chance to take a look at the Shopify Analytics feature yet?

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

NoahN
Visitor
2 0 0

I want to put a link on my store that links to a page off my store.  Is it possible to track clicks on a link on my store that link outside the store?