Solved

Transfer Domain from Shopify issue

Sue_Kim
Visitor
3 0 0

No transfer out option.pngI am trying to get the unlock code as described in the Help section but I do not see the option described in the instructions when I log into my account. I only see the option to transfer TO Shopify. Please help. Thank you.

Sue_Kim_0-1608337893234.png

Accepted Solution (1)
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

This is an accepted solution.

@Sue_Kim 

If I understand correctly, you have a separate website with GoDaddy, which will become your primary website, and you would like to know how to redirect traffic from your Shopify store that uses the ".myshopify.com" URL to your GoDaddy website? If yes, then that would be outside Shopify's scope of support and would require speaking with GoDaddy as they'll be able to provide further assistance with redirecting traffic from your previous domain to their platform. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hey, @Sue_Kim

The free ".myshopify.com" domain that is provided to you for your Shopify store can not be transferred away from Shopify, as it can only be used with your Shopify store. If you purchased a domain through Shopify, then the help centre document you're following would apply only if 60 days have passed since you purchased the domain. If you haven't purchased a domain yet, and based on your intent to transfer the domain away from Shopify, then I would recommend looking into purchasing your domain with a different domain provider such as GoDaddy. By purchasing your domain with another domain provider, you'll then have the ability to manage your domain outside of Shopify, and connect to Shopify, or any other platform you choose. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Sue_Kim
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi, Peter,

Thank you for the reply. We have a new shopping domain through GoDaddy (actually will be a subdomain of an existing web site we own through GoDaddy) and will be ready go live in a few days. We have been with Shopify for over 60 days.

What is the process to forward traffic from our Shopify store once our new store on GoDaddy is ready to go live?

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

This is an accepted solution.

@Sue_Kim 

If I understand correctly, you have a separate website with GoDaddy, which will become your primary website, and you would like to know how to redirect traffic from your Shopify store that uses the ".myshopify.com" URL to your GoDaddy website? If yes, then that would be outside Shopify's scope of support and would require speaking with GoDaddy as they'll be able to provide further assistance with redirecting traffic from your previous domain to their platform. 

Hooper123
4 0 0

I'm having the same issues I can't seem to transfer my domain. It's says your .myshopify.com url can't be removed or changed, b/c you use your url to log into your store and identity your account when you contact Shopify support. It then says I have to add a custom domain as my primary domain. The only reason I'm trying to transfer my domain is to close the store, which is what your directions say to do before I can transfer my domain in the 1st place.

Why do I need to purchase another domain to transfer my original domain if I'm closing the account anyway?

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Hooper123 

If you have not purchased a domain through Shopify, then the step to transfer your domain away would not apply to you as you can not transfer the free ".myshopify.com" domain that you are provided. Only domains purchased through Shopify can be transferred out after 60 days from the date of purchase. More information on transferring purchased domains can be found here. 

Hooper123
4 0 0
How can I purchase my url I thought I already purchased?
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Hooper123 

While you can't purchase the ".myshopify.com" URL, you can purchase your own domain. As you're planning on closing your store, I would recommend purchasing the domain through a third-party domain provider. You can confirm that you didn't purchase your domain through Shopify by reviewing your invoices found under Settings/Billing.