Transfer domain from closed Shopify account to another active account

Solved
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi everyone,

We had a store that was closed recently (not sure, few months ago maybe). We now need to transfer that domain from a closed Shopify account to another still working/active Shopify account.

I saw this help link (https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/domains/managing-domains/advanced-settings#transfer-your-shopify-...) but it requires store admin to login to that account .. which as I understand may not possible now (I personally not a store owner, just have an ordinary limited access account, although I had access to that closed account and have for currently active one).

Is that possible? The Shopify account where that domain was registered is now closed.

I would prefer to avoid domain transfer to another registrar if possible as it takes time .. and emails are still working there (and are used to receive and send emails).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
908 86 169

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @AndriyB!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

We could definitely check if we were still able to access the closed store and it has not been wiped but in order to do that we will need to speak to the account owner to verify this action. Only the account owner can re-open the store and request the domain transfer to the new store. 

I hope this helps but let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Thanks for the fast reply @Lulu .

I will pass this info to the account owner. Hopefully he will be able to login into that account somehow and initiate the transfer.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

BTW, how does he need to contact you to confirm all that?

What form / email address? What is the procedure?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
908 86 169

That is great to hear. In order to verify the account, I can send you an email to the email address attached to this forums account and you can forward it to the account owner and once they reply to us with some information about the store, we can help get this all sorted.

Kind regards,

Lulu

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Sure, will do that (I've received that email already).

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Lulu,

I have replied to that email asking to email the store owner email directly (explaining reasons why and other info).

Thank you, I appreciate your help so far.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
908 86 169

No problem at all, I have forwarded the email to the account owner and I am just awaiting the response from them.

Kind regards,

Lulu | Social care @ Shopify Support

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Thank you Lulu,

We have successfully transferred the desired domain name from old Shopify store.

Many thanks for your help here.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
908 86 169

You are very welcome, glad I could help!

Let me know if you ever need anything else.

All the best, 

Lulu

0 Likes