Transferring domain to Word Press

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi All! A few weeks ago I bought a domain name on Shopify on 9/8/2020 and have not yet signed up for a plan. I wish to use this domain name, host it on host gator, and use WordPress to create it. I can't seem to get any support or help on this issue being that I did not actually create a plan for the site on Shopify. Anyone know how I can move forward with this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
678 50 152

Hi, @jamesalt!

Julie here from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out! 

While domains can be easily transferred away from Shopify, it's important to note that this isn't possible within the first 60 days of purchasing it. This is a standard rule for all domains that have been recently purchased, regardless as to where the domain was purchased from. You can learn more about the 60-day lock from ICANN, the organization responsible for establishing policies around domains, here.  

However, there is a workaround you can use in the meantime! Until the 60-day period is up, you can instead point your domain to your Wordpress site by editing your DNS settings in Shopify. While this will effectively connect your domain to Wordpress, you domain will still be managed in Shopify. If you choose to go this route, I recommend getting in touch with Wordpress to find out which A Record and CNAME you will need to use; once they provide you with the required values, you can then add them to your DNS settings in Shopify by following the instructions outlined in this help doc

However, merchants who purchase domains from Shopify will typically have their websites hosted with Shopify as well. Is there a reason why you are wanting to use WordPress instead of Shopify? 

If you intend to sell products online, then having your website hosted with Shopify will provide you with a seamless user experience, since all Shopify themes are designed to display products and collections right out of the box. If you want to stick with WordPress, though, then you will need to use Shopify's Buy Button to embed your products on your WordPress site. With the Buy Button, you can still use Shopify to manage the backend of your business, while selling products through your Wordpress website. However, keep in mind that this will involve some custom code, so you might want to reach out to a Shopify Expert for assistance. 

Lastly, I want to assure you that you can still get in touch with our Support team even if you do not have an active Shopify plan or even a Shopify account. To do so, you can simply select "Continue without logging in" from our Support page here, where you'll then see an "Ask about a topic" field. Once you enter a search phrase there, you'll see a list of resources that should help answer your question. If you still need to reach out, you'll notice the option to "Get in touch" towards the bottom of the page, which will direct you to our contact methods. 

That being said, I'd be happy to continue assisting you here in the Community Forums and I'd love to learn more about why you are planning on using your Shopify domain outside of Shopify. Feel free to respond here and we can carry on the conversation!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes