Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender - Microsoft Issue

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0
Out client is experiencing the same problem with her customers. I want to know if there are any updates on a consistent solution for the problem.

Baber Raja | Mekenix
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I'm also experiencing this - reading comments and number looks like universal issue. Shopify are very quiet on this which isn't great service to their loyal customers. Appreciate macro situation presently, however someone still needs to be accountable and stand up to provide update, even if its 'it's broke and we have no ETA on solution'. At least then we can look at alternatives. On that point, is anyone using / can recommend email services that will do order / shipment emails?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Just got off with Shopify and after initially saying it was a CNAME issue, I pointed to this thread and then they were like, "oh ok, yeah our development team says they are working on the issue". By the end of the conversation, they have no estimated time of resolution and no workaround other than saying if we get a bounce back, wait 2.5 hours and then try again manually. Yup, I have time for that! Frustrating! Part of the chat is below.

------------------------

13:36 Kumail: Normally bounced back emails are due to a missing TXT record in your domain settings. I am not sure why it is only for hotmail emails but the following steps should help prevent this:

1. Log in to your domain hosting account.
  2. Find your domain's TXT record. This usually appears beside the CNAME record and MX record.
  3. Add the following SPF record to your TXT record: v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all
  4. Save your changes.

13:36 Christopher: https://community.shopify.com/c/Technical-Q-A/Undelivered-Mail-Returned-to-Sender-Microsoft-Issue/m-...

13:40 Kumail: Thanks for sharing that! Let me reach out to my team as well. In the meanwhile could you try adding the TXT record above?

13:40 Christopher: ok.

13:44 Christopher: This has been going on now for about a week. We have already reported this to Shopify for our maac10 site in which we were told it was not a shopify issue.

13:51 Kumail: Just found out from my team that this is an issue they are aware of. Investigating this problem earlier they noticed that the notifications sent to customers was marked as Deferred. Our Notification Developer Team was able to find that Microsoft Outlook / Hotmail has currently put a few of our Sending IPS for notifications on a low reputation list. This means that on occasion when the Deferred error comes up emails / notifications will not be received by the customer on Hotmail.

Our system will try to resend the email notification however in the event of multiple failed attempts, you will receive the email warning : Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender. When this occurs, our Notification Developer Team has recommended waiting 2.5 hours before resending the notification.

Moving forward our Developer Team are working with Microsoft to remove our Sending IPs from their low reputation lists. That being said since this is a manual process I am unable to provide a time expectancy on when this problem will be resolved.

We’re also seeing some spam folder placement with Microsoft due to some COVID related emails being sent through our platform. We are working diligently to address this issue and prevent further spam from being sent. In the meantime, please encourage your [Hotmail/Outlook/MSN/etc.]** recipients to check their spam folders (“Junk Email Folder” for Microsoft users) for your emails and mark the emails as “It’s not junk”. If the mail is not in the spam folder, it’s possible that the email may be caught in a temporary processing delay, or has been deleted by Microsoft if the message is > 10 days old. This action of rescuing emails from the junk folder will significantly help Microsoft’s filtering algorithms learn that this is legitimate mail that should be placed in the inbox.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 4

Couldn't agree more with CARLF, though I'd rather it an option instead of a backstop, would mean less faffing with SPF and DNS too! We're a month in to our trial - problem is I've not see a better system that's as cost effective for us. Hopefully this is resolved soon or I may be forced to consider lesser options.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

So weirdly enough, my previous post looks like it has been removed and marked as spam? Was this because I was critical of Shopify's response? 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0
According to A Shopify representative the issue was reported at around May 31th, 2020z which is in line with the issues from my clients end.

Baber Raja | Mekenix
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, everyone. 

The Shopify Community is not a regularly monitored area by Shopify employees which can cause threads to be missed by our teams. For immediate support we would recommend reaching out to us via chat, email, or through social media on Twitter and Facebook. Thank you to those who have reached out to support and shared their findings here. However; for all that are still unsure of what the issue is, or how to move forward, let me take the time below to give you further insight into the issue. 

We’re seeing some spam folder placement with Microsoft due to some COVID related emails being sent through our platform. We are working diligently to address this issue and prevent further spam from being sent. In the meantime, please encourage your [Hotmail/Outlook/MSN/etc.]** recipients to check their spam folders (“Junk Email Folder” for Microsoft users) for your emails and mark the emails as “It’s not junk”. If the mail is not in the spam folder, it’s possible that the email may be caught in a temporary processing delay, or has been deleted by Microsoft if the message is > 10 days old. This action of rescuing emails from the junk folder will significantly help Microsoft’s filtering algorithms learn that this is legitimate mail that should be placed in the inbox. In addition, you can try to resend the emails at a later time to avoid them being affected by the rate-limit that is causing the issue.

While this is not an immediate fix, do know that we are aware of the issue, and are taking the appropriate steps to help lessen the potentially negative impact this could have on your business. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2 Likes