Venture theme- changing product description when changing variant

Solved
Annapurna_4
Tourist
11 2 2

Hello everybody,

We are currently in the process of setting up our shop for supplements and are faced with the problem that we would like to change the product description with every product variant. For example we use the Venture theme and need to know whether there is a usable free app for this, as paid apps are currently beyond our monthly budget!

Or is there another way (change HTML-code, etc.) - we are newbies.

If this would only be possible via a payed app, the next question follows: Is such a function included in a Premium Shopify theme that you need to pay for once?

Thanks for your support and best,

Anna

tim
Shopify Expert
2857 117 937

This is an accepted solution.

Anna, it's simply because Shopify database has no field for variant description. Description is per product.

You may use metafields to store a piece of description with each variant, but then it will require some javascript coding as well to retrieve this data and display as variant change occurs.  Plus, you'd most probably need an app to manage metafields too, as Shopify only allows editing metafields in bulk editor.

@Mircea_Piturca -- a good community member here has created a Variant Description OMG app which is only $5 per month and will save you a lot of hassle.

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com!
My post solved your problem? Like it!
Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1459 39 284

Hey @Annapurna_4 

As Tim mentioned there is no field on the product description where you can store this additional per variant description.

You can do a custom implementation, this would require modifying the theme code to intercept variant change and displaying the new descriptions. This post covers more about how you can set this up.

I have created an app to handle this without having to do any code changes. The app takes care of storing the descriptions and displaying them when variants change dynamically. As most Shopify app it has a monthly plan.

Feel free to give it try, it is free for development stores and has a 14 days free trial: https://apps.shopify.com/dynamic-variant-description

Thank you @tim for mentioning my app, I appreciate it!

Finally—Add variant descriptions to your products
Annapurna_4
Tourist
11 2 2

Hey @Mircea_Piturca ,

thank you for your help. We will test your app ;-).

Br

Anna

0 Likes
Annapurna_4
Tourist
11 2 2

Hey @tim

many thanks for your fast answer and the recommendation.

We will test the app.

Br

Anna

0 Likes
Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1459 39 284

Hey @Annapurna_4 

After installation send me an email at support@typefolly.zendesk.com and I will gladly assist you.

Thank you.

Annapurna_4
Tourist
11 2 2

Hello, we will go with this app.
Great support from Mircea! Fast and reliable! We highly recommend this app for variant descriptions. 

Thanks a lot

0 Likes
Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1459 39 284

Thank you Anna,

Really happy that this worked out for you. I also appreciate the review on the App Store.

Best