What are the technology stack for developing Shopify Apps

Shopify Partner
50 0 5

Could I get your understanding...

Trying to figure out all the pieces to the puzzle for creating a Shopify App and trying to draw a picture of what the possible technology stack is for developing a Shopify App.

Is this correct?  You need to use Ruby on Rails and the Embedded SDK to make REST API calls to Shopify.  Is this correct?  

Also, where do Node.js, Python, and PHP fit into all this?  How would you use these technologies for the Shopify App?

Is RoR the best way to connect to Shopify or is it the preferred way, easiest way or only way?  I'm not trying to NOT use RoR, but just understanding the big picture and to know where to focus all my attention. 

Are there any docs that explain all this in an easy to understand way?

Your insight and thoughts are most appreciated,

Terry

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
704 0 68

Shopify is a Ruby application but there are API client libraries for all kinds of languages, Official, semi-official well-supported, and otherwise. 

There are, really, infinite use cases and many reasons you might choose one language over others. What is yours?

I’ve developed and commissioned a few with some really good Ruby, JavaScript and .Net developers. I can hack the JavaScript so I like Node, I’m less comfortable in Ruby and... my main man plays in C# 

I'm a million different people
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
50 0 5

Ricky,

Thank you for your insight.  If I'm understanding what you are saying:

I can use whatever language and platform I want to develop apps for Shopify?  

My use case is I want to develop a Shopify App that works inside the Admin console.  Several years ago (like 3-4) I wrote a private Shopify App with Ruby for a store.  It worked great and I learned a little about Ruby (sort of).  

As I dive back in, looks like a few things have changed or have gotten better.  As I scope out this next Shopify App, I'm wondering what is the best way to implement. 

If I'm understanding the scope of what you are saying, from the Shopify App's point of view inside the Admin console, the app will be running remotely completely separate from Shopify and really what the user sees has been executed on a remote server (in whatever technology I choose) and delivered back to the Shopify 

Being honest, even though I developed the Shopify App previously, I never fully understood how everything worked together.  

I'm convinced that more I look, research and ask questions, the picture will become clearer.  

Again, very much appreciate your insight.  Thank you!

Terry

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
704 0 68

Terry!

Exactly that and here’s some pertinent documentation:

https://help.shopify.com/api/tutorials/building-public-app 

In the menu below that Ruby / Sinatra example you will see a Node.js / Express example.

You should look at Polaris too, if your intention is to build another embedded app:

That’s a rabbit hole!

Rick

I'm a million different people
0 Likes