What happens for the purchaser when I select "Continue Selling When Out Of Stock"?

HeatersHaven
1 0 0

I am wanting to continue to sell my items when they are out of stock, as I am able to get them in quickly.

But I am curious if the purchaser is informed that they are purchasing something that is currently out of stock?

My worry is that they will not be aware and will expect the shipping to be as quick as the rest of the products, so I'm wondering if there is a disclaimer when the purchaser is purchasing products that are currently out of stock.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1103 105 261

Hi, @HeatersHaven!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

While Shopify provides merchants with the option to continue selling products when out-of-stock, I can see how there may be issues if customers aren't receiving their orders on time.

Have you considered editing your out-of-stock product descriptions so that they include a message about delivery times? This would be the easiest way to add a disclaimer to your product pages. 

Alternatively, you could use a pre-order app from the Shopify App Store. Apps like Pre-Order Manager 2.0, Pre-order Now, and Coming Soon Products Preorders will automatically change the "Add to Cart" button to a "Pre-Order" button for out-of-stock products. This is a great way to handle back-ordered products that are not currently in stock, since customers will still be able to buy your products while being aware that they aren't currently in stock. 

I suggest comparing each app to see which suits your needs the best. These apps are fully supported by their developers, so feel free to get in touch with them should you have any questions or need assistance. You can generally find developers' contact information under the Support section on their app listings, or directly within the apps themselves. You can learn more about getting help with third-party apps here.

I hope this helps. Let me know what you think! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes