Solved

What happens to domain after free trials?

NickyPump
4 0 0
Hey there sellers, as the topic says, I am looking for the answer on what’s going to happen with my bought domain after the free trial runs out?
Accepted Solution (1)
Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

This is an accepted solution.

If you're looking to pay 2-3 days after the trial expires you'll be totally fine! To be honest, as long as the domain is registered under your name and hasn't expired (the domain not your Shopify account) you'll be able to retrieve your domain. 

For example, if your trial expires and you wanted to reopen your store in 8 months you would still be able to get your domain. There might be some other steps that would have to be taken, but you would still have access to the domain because you bought it. 

With 2-3 days though, you'll be totally fine! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 8 (8)

Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

Hey, there.

This is Dallas from the Shopify Social Care Team and I'd love to help, but I guess it would really depend on what you're looking to do.

If you're wanting to keep your store open then your domain would just remain connected to your store and would just allow your customers to access your website. In a year your domain would then renew.

If you're wanting to close your store after a 14-day trial then you'd want to transfer the domain to another domain host. This way you can access it and point it to another web server at any other time.

May I ask what you're looking to do with your store after the 14-day trial?

NickyPump
4 0 0
I am looking to continue holding it but there is a problem which pulls the whole question with itself. Currently I don’t have enough money on my credit card to pay for the subscription that’s why I made this topic. Don’t want the domain and the whole thing to disappear if I get to pay 2/3 days after the trial expires.
Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

This is an accepted solution.

If you're looking to pay 2-3 days after the trial expires you'll be totally fine! To be honest, as long as the domain is registered under your name and hasn't expired (the domain not your Shopify account) you'll be able to retrieve your domain. 

For example, if your trial expires and you wanted to reopen your store in 8 months you would still be able to get your domain. There might be some other steps that would have to be taken, but you would still have access to the domain because you bought it. 

With 2-3 days though, you'll be totally fine! 

NickyPump
4 0 0

Sounds like you've answered my question and solved my problem. Thank you !

Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

That's fantastic! Really is what I love to hear. 

I'd love to help you out with your business and get it up and running if you'd like assistance. I know that starting a business can be daunting and overwhelming so if there's any way that I can help get you information or be a sounding board for business ideas or marketing proposals I'd love to help you out. 

Remember I'm here to help at any time 🙂 

Rorote
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

I bout my domain under a shopify store whose the free trial has already expired and that I can no more access to delete If I don’t pay for the subscription . Howevere, I have already created a new store and I am already paying the monthly subscription.  I would like to use the domain of the first store I had but when I select the domain it says that the domain is already in use. 
What can I do to take the domain of my previous store and link it to my new store ? 

Rorote
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

I bout my domain under a shopify store whose the free trial has already expired and that I can no more access to delete If I don’t pay for the subscription . However, I have already created a new store and I am already paying the monthly subscription.  I would like to use the domain of the first store I had but when I select the domain it says that the domain is already in use. 
What can I do to take the domain of my previous store and link it to my new store ? 

NickWhite1
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, I have a Shopify store and that is inactive and my domain is attached to it, when I try to move the domain to a new site, the button is grayed out and it will not let me. If I then try to connect the domain to my current site, it says the domain is on another store. Does this mean that I lost my domain?