What is 'link title' used for? Screenshot attached.

Solved
23 0 0

Just getting my website up to scratch on SEO and wondering what the 'link title' is used for and where it appears? This is the window I am referring to (while adding menu items in navigation) 

Screenshot 2019-07-25 at 08.39.06.png

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
571 52 113

Hey there, @awills 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

That is a really great question. I did some digging into this and found that this is used to tell search engines such as Google exactly what the links are leading to.  This also helps with visitors to your site that are visually impaired. Their screen reading software will be able to read what you have named the navigation link and the name of the page the link leads to. Having these link titles help make your pages more accessible and in doing so, improves your SEO rating. 

While fine-tuning your SEO you should take a look at your images'  Alt Description. Luckily adding an alt description is super easy to do and can be done so as outlined in this doc.

The long and short of it is that adding alt descriptions helps you rank better in Google because it is telling Google what your images are and so your products can show up in Google image searches. Having the descriptions there also makes your site more accessible for anyone with any kind of visual impairment as their screen readers can read what the image is for them. So while making your page that bit more accessible you are also improving your SEO. Here is a great guide to writing truly effective alt descriptions for your product images.

As you know, SEO can play a huge part in bringing in sales and potential customers. The key to SEO is understanding what your customers will be looking for and ensuring your site is set up to best manage the products and content they are seeking. I have attached a few links below that are great in gaining more tips in making your site more SEO friendly.

They say 80% of SEO is content. Want to learn all about content marketing? You can take this free course from Hubspot and become certified! 

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like