What's the status on 3D Secure!?

Shopify Expert
111 0 1

Hey, 

I have been looking around for more info and status updates on 3D Secure. Why isn't that already a subject here in this side of the forum? 

I can't offer clients in Norway more solutions from Shopify anymore, because we can't set up payments with creditcards. My last client have been going on for a while, because we have been turned down by 3 merchants now. 3D Secure is now mandatory!

My client is mad, because he gets a lot of abandoned ordes on checkout. And I'm tired of this because this should be fixed in 2013! 

I also know that several merchants and payment systems have emailed Shopify about this many times. 

So, are we going to get a status stickypost on this, or do we just have to drop Shopify now? 

Johnny 
Web Designer & Shopify Expert
Norway
www.motion-effect.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
46 0 3

What is 3D secure? 

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
111 0 1

Right, okey...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Secure

Johnny 
Norway
www.motion-effect.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
46 0 3

Analysis of the protocol by academia has shown it to have many security issues that affect the consumer, including greater surface area for phishing and a shift of liability in the case of fraudulent payments.

From wikipedia. 

So why do you need / want it?

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
111 0 1

The issue with 3DS, at least in Norway and also in England as far as I can see, is that most merchants/credit card prosessors are now having 3DS setup as mandatory. And Shopify still doesn't support 3D Secure. 

So, that means I can't offer Shopify to my clients in Norway anymore. We get rejected by the credit card prosessors. 

And most clients would, of course, like to offer payment with creditcard in their store!

Johnny 
Norway
www.motion-effect.com
0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi, we have successfully being granted credit-card transactions without 3D-secure by our card processor Swedbank (via ePay).

They individually approve this per case, we had to make sure that we are not having heavy traffic with high risk countries, (asia,africa,east europe, etc.)

Since most of our customers was from Norway and sometimes other scandinavian countries we got approved, it took 3-4 days.

But by default all of our transactions got denied before I called them.  We thought it was something wrong with the settings.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
111 0 1

Hi Glenn, 

Nice to hear this comment from you. I was wondering how things where going for others on setting up without 3D secure. I have been in contact with Swedbank before regarding one of my clients. But he got denied. 

CC payment with ePay is nice, and it looks good. But, what do you mean with your transactions got denied? Did you have an account set up with Swedbank, WITH 3DS, and you then later had to turn that of after you found out about the transactions? 

Maybe I can try Swedbank again later then, as long as the store basically will have norwegian customers. 

Johnny 
Norway
www.motion-effect.com
0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi again, 

Sorry for the late reply, been busy :)

What I meant by the transactions got denied is simply that the 3D-secure was required by Swedbank, so Swedbank always denied the payment. This was before I talked to Swedbank and got permission to go without 3D secure. After that I forwarded the answer to ePay which then turned it off on their side. 

BUT another thing; ePay have got a new option that works with 3D-secure even on Shopify. Note that I have NOT tested this, and it requires some development in the store (editing template files, etc. ) (See the attached image)

The instructions are here: http://www.shopifyguiden.dk/en/3d-secure

Hope this helps :)

-glenn

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
111 0 1

Hi Glenn,

Thats okey, me too :)

Yes, I see. It's important to ask for non 3DS setup when applying. But interesting to hear that they turned it off, after you got your account set up. And thank you very much for that ePay info, THAT will greatly improve the setup for CC payment for us in Europe. 

Will take a look at this :) thanks! 

Johnny.  

Johnny 
Norway
www.motion-effect.com
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
111 0 1

@Glenn, 

Did you try out the setup for 3D Secure through ePay? 

Johnny 
Norway
www.motion-effect.com
0 Likes