While trying add new product, I am not able to upload image.

shehnaibridal
6 0 0

My images are around 7 MB but it shows error, that it can't upload image of more than 20 MB.

0 Likes
Ava
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
808 41 130

Hey, @shehnaibridal!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble here. Would you be able to go to your Shopify admin and navigate to Settings > Files, then upload the image there as a file? Once you've done that, you'll have a link to the image! Could you post that link to the image here in a reply to me? I'll be able to take a look at the image and investigate why it is not uploading for you.

I'm sure we will get to the bottom of this for you!

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
shehnaibridal
6 0 0

Hi Ava,

Even on Settings > Files, when I try to upload file, I get following error:

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 1.27.35 AM.png

The file I am trying to upload is of size ~7MB (attached example)3Z2A6260.jpg

I am able to upload file on commuity site but not on shopify website I am trying to create. I am totally blocked on moving forward with my website due to this. Please help me resolve issue asap.

Amy

0 Likes
shehnaibridal
6 0 0

Hi,

Any help on this? I am still stuck and can't move forward with my website.

0 Likes
Jason
Shopify Expert
10037 119 1873

Your file might be only 7mb but is it also smaller than 20 megapixels? The error you're seeing suggests that it is larger than that.

If you're not sure how to work that out post a reply with the pixel height and width of the image.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
shehnaibridal
6 0 0

Here is what I see for one of the image: 4345 × 6517 

The size of this image is around 8 MB. Is image with above dimension suppose to work? 

0 Likes
shehnaibridal
6 0 0
What is the exact dimensions we need for the photos? We can try editing and
make it to that size.

0 Likes
shehnaibridal
6 0 0

Hi,

These are professionally taken photos. Can you provide supported height x width on shopify? We can ask our photographer to reduce size of photos.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Ava
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
808 41 130

Hey @shehnaibridal!

Thank you for the dimensions of the image, they're very helpful! Jason is correct here, the issue here looks like megapixels. Megapixels (MP) represent how many pixels the camera can capture in an image. Megabytes (MB) are the file size of an image, or how much space it takes up. The image size must be less than 20 MB and 20 MP. To determine the Megapixels in an image, multiply the number of pixels in the width by the number of pixels in length. This handy MP calculator will help you determine that! From the dimensions you've mentioned, it looks like the image is currently at 28 MP:

22-48-stef0-8wy2q

On Shopify, you can upload images of up to 4472 x 4472. For a portrait photo like your example above, you could try height 4472px x width of 2981px. This is because 4472px is the maximum height an image is recommended to be, so the proportional width to that height is 2981px. You can let your photographer know these dimensions and they can resize in the best way! With dimensions of 4472 x 2981, this would give you 13.3MP in total.

Let me know what you think! 

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes