Why does a developer need access to the Shopify HOME screen?

RockItCool
Excursionist
31 0 7

Contacted  someone here on the forums about modifying a theme for us.

We're looking to get a custom home page and modify the theme to our liking.

I made a STAFF account with access to all the related sections including products.

How they are asking for access to the Shopify HOME section.

I asked why and the answer was brief "you want us to make a custom page"

That is not a good reason to let them access everything from customer emails to transaction history etc...

Am I being too paranoid?

Replies 2 (2)

Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1547 44 345

No,

To modify the theme you do not need access to the homepage. Depending on the job you would need access to themes, products, and, maybe apps...

The homepage is just a hub, nothing to do there.

Finally—Add variant descriptions to your products

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi there @RockItCool!

Don here from Shopify.

While we can't comment on why a developer might ask for access to a given part of your admin, we can share some info here on the various parts of your admin that a given staff permission gives access to.

You can check that info out here on our help site.

Specifically, check out the General permission (which includes the Home access your developer requested) and Online store (Themes, etc) permission sections as these seem to be the most relevant to your case.

You can view what is included in each section there (note customers, orders, etc are not included in the 'home' section but rather are separate permissions).

Ultimately, it is up to you as the store owner to decide which permissions you are happy to grant and which you do not wish to give.

Feel free to press your developer for more info on why they need this specifically, and if you're not happy to give this access then you can let them know and you can work from that point or reconsider your options.

If you find yourself in the market for hiring some professionals to work on your store, you can check out our Experts Marketplace here.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog