Wierd symbols showing after import

Hello everyone,

I recently downloaded a product sheet and then re-uploaded but now strange symbols are showing on the page, for example;

https://www.vaporshopdirect.com/products/aegis-boost-pod-vape-kit-by-geekvape

'åÊ'

I downloaded the CSV, uploaded to Google Drive and modified some title tags. Nothing too complicated but now this happens?

Has anyone come across this? Fix?

Kind regards

Vaping and working
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
193 26 29

Hi, @vapecommerceuk

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Great question.

The characters you are seeing, most commonly import if the CSV file has not been saved in UTF-8, which is the encoding format required to import or export to Shopify. Our Help Doc FAQ on CSV files goes over this briefly here.

Moving forward, please follow these instructions when opening your file into Google Sheets:

• Open your Google Drive. In the top-left corner, select ‘New > File Upload’.
  • Browse your computer for the required CSV file, and start uploading it.
  • Open the file within Google Sheets.
  • Navigate to ‘File > Download as’, and select "Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet)"
  • The downloaded file will be saved with UTF-8 encoding by default.

To correct for uploads that were not in UTF-8, you can go through each affected product in your Shopify admin, and manually change or remove the characters. 

However, I recognize that this is not ideal if working with a high volume of affected products. In this case, I recommend opening the improperly encoded CSV file again, and re-saving it with UTF-8 encoding.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes