Workflow for Updating Multiple Themes on Multiple Stores

Arvanitas
Tourist
11 0 2

Hey I'm probably doing this wrong / inefficiently. (I'm a UX designer but have been taking on development roles at this startup). 

Currently, we have 3 stores setup that have minor differences (they're for different areas of the world). I've set it up so we duplicate and update the theme every 2 weeks. So most of the time I only have to copy changes to 3 places. 

However, if I rapid release anything it has to be changed in 6 places (3 stores x 2 themes (1 active 1 upcoming)). 

My question is how do I upload all of these changes quicker. Right now I'm adding a file and my process is. 

1. Navigate to the folder in the terminal

2. theme get (enter in password, store, and theme)

3. theme watch

4. copy file over

5. cancel theme watch

6. repeat for other theme in store

7. navigate to new folder (aka. new store) through terminal. Repeat

Is there a way I can publish changes to multiple themes at a time? Can I 'theme watch' all of my folders instead of just 1 at a time? 

Replies 4 (4)

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

https://shopify.github.io/themekit/ for editing theme(s) for store(s) with local desktop tools

themekit watch -e=production1 -e=production2 -e=production 3

Same for other commands like deploy

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Arvanitas
Tourist
11 0 2

Do I setup multiple themes in the config.yml file then? I saw something about setting up multiple environments, but in my case they would act more as current theme, upcoming theme?

Arvanitas
Tourist
11 0 2

Also do you recommend having 3 folders for 3 different stores or just 1? 

I guess my questions is about the possibilities and shortcuts within themekit. Swapping themes, deploying to multiple themes on multiple stores, do I have to do theme get 'password, store, themeid' each time I want to switch anything. 

Stuff like that

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

If you have a single code base, VCS,etc that goes to all stores then you only need 1 folder.

You still need different environments as no matter what each store is a different store.

@Arvanitas wrote:

, do I have to do theme get 'password, store, themeid' each time I want to switch anything. 

No you set up your config.yml to have that info in the different environments.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org