closing store

Solved
Highlighted
1 0 0

Is it possible to close my store but be able to signup at a later time with the same store name - if it is still available? I know there won't be any guarantees, but ...

thank you, Stephan

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
916 96 149

Shouldn't be an issue, unless someone else takes it over in the meantime :)

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
1 Like

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
79 21 22

Hi @stephan128 ,

Dani here from Shopify!

Thanks for writing in! Are you looking to keep the same store name with your .myshopify.com URL or a custom domain?

If you're looking to ensure you keep the same store name and .myshopify.com then this is possible by closing down your store now and re-activating it at a later time. Once you close your store down we can guarantee that all data will remain for 30 days, this typically applies to order information, product information, etc. Your .myshopify.com URL will remain as the permanent URL and attached to your store. You can log in at a later date and this URL will still be attached.

If you are more concerned with keeping a custom domain, then I would actually suggest transferring it to a third party. That way, once the domain comes up for renewal you can renew through your third party domain provider. You can prepare your domain for transfer using this tutorial. In terms of finding a new domain host, there are lots of options to choose from! Do you already have an idea of which domain providers you would like to transfer to? One of the more popular domain providers, GoDaddy, provides these instructions for transferring a domain to their platform.

Once you're ready to close your store you can follow our tutorial here. You may also be interested in downgrading to our Paused plan, with this plan you can still work on your store and even host it live. However, customers will not be able to add products to their cart and checkout with this plan.

Was there a particular reason that you wanted to close down your store? I'd love to continue helping you so we can ensure this is a succesful business for you. You may be interested in taking a look at one of our Shopify Academy courses. These courses are designed to help you grow your business from leading experts!

Let me know if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to continue helping you.

All the best,

Dani

Dani | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like